Shallow

I wake up the next morning on a hotel couch and sigh rubbing my eyes as I sit up. I look down and see I'm still wearing last nights dress and I didn't even take my heels off. I notice a note on the side table next to me and pick it up trying to decipher the messy hand writing.

Had to go to my shoot, thanks for coming out with me last night! Dinner later for sure! -Molly

I pull out my phone and check the time and nearly gasp to see it's already noon. This seems to be a growing pattern for me since I've arrived in New York. After a moment of trying to wake myself up I grab my things and head downstairs to the lobby where the doorman hails me a cab.

I hop in the yellow taxi and give my address to the driver hoping I'm not to far from Holly's apartment. My phone lets out a loud buzz and I look down to see a text from Julian.

What are you doing tonight? I was thinking Italian but I hate going out on my own..

I laugh at his odd way of asking me out and type a 'Sounds good' but immediately erase it after remembering what Molly's note said, dinner later for sure. As much as I hate to bail on Julian again Molly is leaving tomorrow and I would hate to not see her again before she leaves.

Oh how I wish I could but I already made dinner plans:(

I write back and put my phone away in my pocket as we pull up next to Holly's place. I jump out making sure not to forget anything and use my key to get inside. Once I make it back up to the apartment I walk in to see Jesse still on the couch watching some reality show and holly no where in sight.

"Hey Jess, where's Holly?" I say throwing my junk of the table and joining her on the couch.

"She went on a date last night but didn't get home yet." Jesse shrugs spooning a pile of ice cream into her mouth.

"So you didn't even ask who she was going with?" I say grabbing the ice cream from her and she growls.

"Hey!" she tries to grab it back but I hold it away.

"Not until you tell me everything you know!" I glare. She lets out an exasperated sigh and rolls her eyes.

"Fine, she said something about Fabrizio when she was getting ready but I don't know for sure." She states licking any remains of ice cream off her spoon.

I nod and think for a moment, "What was she wearing when she left?"

"Just jeans I think." She says reaching for the ice cream again and I give it to her.

Just then the door bursts open and a drunk looking blonde stumbles in laughing dragging a curly haired boy behind her.

Holly and Fabrizio.

"Oh hey guys!" She says wrapping her arm around Fabs shoulders for support.

Fab picks her up and throws her over his shoulder and waves to us continuing through the apartment and down the hall to her bedroom.

"That was weird." I say looking to Jesse but she doesn't seem to care, just switches her attention back to the TV and her mint chocolate chip ice cream.

•••

It's been almost three hours since holly came home and all we've heard since is loud banging and shouting coming from her room. We have the TV on full blast trying to drown out the noise but it's no use. Although I am absolutely disgusted by this I don't dare interrupt thinking of all the times holly has had to put up with me bringing boys home.

My phone buzzes and I see its Molly.

All done with work, can we go out soon? I'm starving!

I feel my stomach rumble after reading this and quickly respond.

Yes please! Where would you like?

Jesse gets up from beside me and says something about going to her room but I ignore her and focus on the incoming message.

I'm feeling Chinese and I know a great place!

Molly sends the address and I send a quick agreement text before going to get dressed. I slip on a pair of light wash jeans and a black T-shirt along with my nude flats and a black leather purse my mother had gotten me for Christmas last year. Once satisfied I text Molly to say I'm on my way and go down to the street grabbing a cab.

When I arrive at the restaurant I see my red headed friend already sitting in front of the window and I join her at the table.

"Hey sorry to make you wait!" I say picking up the menu and having a seat across from her. She waves her hand in dismissal.

"How are you feeling today?" She laughs and I shake my head laughing along.

"Not as bad as I thought I'd be" I sigh honestly.

We make small talk being polite and asking about the usual things like family, weather, vacation plans, etc. but after we place our orders she turns serious and leans in.

"So what's with this Julian guy?" Her voice is cold and slightly judgemental and I cringe, I was hoping this wouldn't come up.

"Uh we're just friends, I only met him recently." I say nonchalantly and Molly eases up sitting back in her chair.

"Oh good I was so nervous you liked him! You know, he's just not your type." She chuckles and I tense up.

I get slightly offended by this and can't help but snap back, "and what exactly is that supposed to mean?"

She seems surprised by my tone but defends her statement. "He's just so dirty and he clearly has no future! Or present for that matter, besides his band." She lets out a chuckle before continuing, "He's just an all round loser." She says and I lose it.

"You know, not everyone is as shallow as you. We don't all only care about money and looks." I say standing up abruptly and grabbing my purse turning to leave but before I do I look back and add, "have a nice life Molly."

I storm out and I know I just caused a scene but I can't deny it felt great. All my life I have been living by her stuck up rules about who I hang out with, what I dress like, and even what music I listened to! But now that is all behind me, sitting at a cheap Chinese food restaurant all by itself.

I rip my phone out of my pocket and dial Julian's number feeling adrenaline running through my veins.

It rings three times before picking up but when it does it's not that familiar raspy voice I love so much, it's the high pitched voice of a girl.