I Really Am Alone

I dashed to a tree near a baseball field, and my jaw dropped at the sight of the kids playing the game.

"Whoa!" I whispered. "The playoffs!"

I watched as a kid hit a home run, and ran to home base.

As he ran, I dashed underneath the bleachers, and watched as the kid ran past his friends, giving them high fives.

I smiled. I loved seeing these friends working together and just being friends, and I longed to have a high five myself.

I then saw him hugging a girl, who I assumed to be his girlfriend.

This made my ears drop. It was depressing enough that I couldn't have any friends, but even if I did make friends, no one on this planet would love a blue, talking hedgehog. Not even a faunus.

I watched as his friends picked him up, celebrating their victory, and gave him even more high fives.

My ears perked back up, and my smile returned, loving the sight of real friendship and celebration, even if I wasn't a part of it.

Soon, night fell. The adults and their kids had left, and the lights had turned on.

I was alone, free to look over the field. I walked into the center of the field, looking around my location. It was the first time I'd ever been in a setting like this, and it was truly amazing.

"Ah! So cool!" I said.

That was when I noticed a bag full of baseball gloves, bats, and balls. I got an idea.

I stood at one of the bases, baseball helmet on my head and baseball bat in my hands.

"Bottom of the ninth tie score," I said. "And exactly who you wanted at the plate with a game on the line, Sonic!"

I dashed to the pitcher's mound, dropping the bat and putting on the glove.

"But staring him down from the pitcher's mound is the most fearsome southpaw in Vale, also Sonic!"

"Okay, focus Sonic," batter me said. "If you win this game, you'll be the most beloved kid in Vale."

I then dashed to the third base. I slapped my cheeks, let out some armpit farts, and did some weird hand motions.

"Hit it to the guy in left!" I said to batter me. "He's a real space case!"

The me in left stood, staring to the sky, blowing bubblegum, before turning to the others, confused.

"Ugh," pitcher me said. "I can't with that guy!"

Catcher me, behind batter me, chanted, "Hey, batter Sonic! Hey, batter Sonic! Suh-wing, batter Sonic!"

Pitcher me tossed the ball, and I quickly dashed to the batter position, grabbed the bat, and hit the ball, sending it flying over to the "space case" me on the left.

I was sitting down, sniffing a flower, when I noticed the ball. I ran after it at human speeds.

"I got it! I got it! I got it!"

I leapt for the ball, but missed.

"I don't got it."

Batter me dropped the bat and ran from one base to the other.

"Space case" me picked up the ball and tossed it at batter me, who easily avoided it.

I ran to third base, and saw the me who told me to hit it to "space case" me cheering me on.

"Go home! Go home!"

I ran to third base, and headed home.

"Come on!" catcher me said, preparing to catch the ball.

I leapt passed the ball, catcher me caught the ball, and I slid over home base right before catcher me hit it with the ball.

"Safe!" referee me said.

Batter me stopped sliding, and I stood up and started jumping with joy.

"Yes! Yes yes yes yes! I did it! Did you see that?! I did it! I did it!"

I rose my hand for a high five... but then I remembered.

Nobody saw it. I was playing with myself. There was no one to high five me.

I looked around the empty field, taking in the fact that I was all alone, the only sound I could hear was the chirping of the crickets.

I looked at my gloved hand, sadness overwhelming me.

"I really am alone," I said, taking my helmet off. "All alone. Forever."

I began running from base to base, the only thought running through my mind being my loneliness.

Nobody was there. I could never make a friend. I could never show myself. I could never get a high five.

Electricity began surging through my body as my sadness and anger increased.

Nobody liked me! Nobody loved me! Nobody could care about me! I was alone! And I'd stay alone for the rest of my life!

I screamed in rage, and the electricity went into full force, creating a blackout in Vale.

I stopped everything and looked around at the now dark baseball field, shocked at what I'd just done.

"I'm sure no one noticed that giant blue explosion, right?" I said, before dashing away.

Meanwhile, Team RWBY was in the middle of getting ready for bed when the blackout occurred.

Ruby got a call on her scroll from Jaune. She put the scroll to her ear.

"Hey, Jaune," she said.

"Hi, Ruby," Jaune's voice came from the scroll. "Jaune here." He chuckled, before shifting to a more serious tone. "What is going on?!"

Ruby turned and saw Weiss flicking the light switch, but the lights didn't turn back on.

"Oh gosh," Ruby said. "I think the power's out."

"Yeah, no durr!" Jaune said. "The lights are out! My team is freaking out! What should I do?!"

"Okay," Ruby said, "relax, take a deep breath, and just try to keep your team calm. The downed line should be found eventually, and there's probably a backup generator. The lights should turn on any minute."

"What's that?" Yang asked, pointing.

Ruby turned to the direction she was pointing in, and saw a blue light on a desk.

"I'll call you back," Ruby said.

In Team JNPR's dorm, Jaune was starting to panic. "Wait, hello?! Was that the end of the instructions?!" She hung up.

"Well?" Nora said, running around him. "What's going on?! What do we do?!"

"Is everything alright, Jaune?" Pyrrha asked.

"Okay, alright," Jaune said to himself. "You can do this. What was the first thing she said to do? Right. Relax."

He fainted.

Back in Team RWBY's dorm, Ruby was slowly approaching the source of the light.

She picked it up, and held it in front of her.

It was the quill she'd found in the forest.