Transfer

Ruby was making her way to her dorm in her school uniform, a smile on her face as she held a box full of her favorite food: strawberries!

She opened up the door to her dorm, and saw Zwei walking up to her. She bent down and started petting him.

"Hi, Zwei!" she said in a cute voice, and started talking in baby gibberish.

Weiss, Yang, and Blake walked over to her. Weiss had a note in her hand.

"What's that?" Ruby asked.

"Just read it," Weiss said, handing it to her.

Ruby took the note and started to read it.

"'Dear Team RWBY,'" she read, "'we here at Atlas have seen footage of what you can do in the field and pending interdepartmental review and background check, we are happy to inform you that you have been selected to join our team of huntsmen and huntresses.'"

Weiss started jumping with joy. "Can you believe this?!" she said. "We are such great huntresses we've been considered official huntresses before we even graduated!"

"This is amazing!" Yang said. "Isn't it Ruby?"

Ruby looked confused. "So... does this mean we're leaving Beacon? Vale? Everything?"

"Uh... when you put it like that it sounds worse than it is," Weiss said.

"But... why?" she said. "I mean, I want to be a real huntress, but I don't want to leave this place behind! This is our home!"

"Ruby, this is your chance to be a real huntress," Weiss said. "We all have to leave our childhood behind at some point."

"But what about Jaune?" Ruby said. "And Pyrrha? And Sun? And all our friends?"

"We'll stay in touch," Blake said. "It's not like we're never gonna see them again."

Ruby sighed. "I-I guess you're right. I-I need to think about this."

She left the room, her head hanging.

Later, she was announcing the news.

"So, it is with a heavy heart that I tell you all that we've accepted a position at Atlas, effective immediately" she said. "It's gonna be tough to leave my kingdom, and all my friendships. But this is something I feel like I need to do. To grow, as both a huntress, and a woman."

She sighed, and looked at the cookie she was using to practice her speech.

"What do you think, Chip?" she asked, with a hint of sadness in her voice. "Wasn't so bad, right? All I gotta do is tell everyone who isn't a cookie."