Finding Ivy Part 7

Chapter 7

     The rest of the week went by normally. I didn't have any weird dreams. Cynthia is back to normal, and by normal I mean making fun of me at every chance she can get. The new kid Aaron still intrigues me though. It seems like there was some type of energy that hums around us when we are close. I don't know how to explain it, but for some reason I feel safe around him.

     It's Saturday, and I decided to take Eli to the beach with me. I ran upstairs and open the top drawer of my dresser, picking out my forest green bikini. Slipping it on I look around for some shorts and a tank top to through over it. I find some and am finally ready. I walk over to the boys room not bothering to even knock.

     "Hey guys I'm going to the beach anybody want to come?"

     All three of them jump up excitement evident on their faces. "I want to come."

     "Me too."

     "Yeah."

     Laughing at their delight I tell them to get ready. Ten minutes later and they have everything packed and are eagerly waiting by the front door.

     "Alright let's go."

     We walk outside and turn to walk in the opposite direction of the school. For about fifteen minutes we laugh and joke around, until finally we arrive at our destination. I look out at the ocean and can't help but let a sigh escape from my lips. It's so beautiful. The water is clear and blue reminding me of Aaron's eyes. Back up, did I just say Aaron's eyes? I start to panic. No, no way do I like Aaron.

     "Mommy! I want to play!" Eli screams at me, releasing me from my frightening thoughts. I happily agree, and drag him towards the water. I hear laughter and look over at the twins who are building sand castles then destroying them as fast as they are up.

     Shaking my head at them, I concentrate on Eli. We play on the shore laughing and splashing water at each other. I look up and notice that the sun is starting to go down.

     "Come on guys it's time to be leaving!" I scream at the boys giving them time to put back on their shoes and gather their stuff.

     I look around the beach making sure that I didn't miss anything. I see a couple kissing. 'How cute' I think before doing a double take. Oh my god, I hope that is not who I think it is. I walk a little closer to make sure. Yep it's them.

     "What are you doing?" I shout at them with surprise in my voice.

     They jerk apart fast, their faces flushed. "Look Ivy I can explain," he says with a apologetic look on his face.

      "Save it I don't really care. I mean you both know how much I don't like Cynthia, but that still gives you know right to cheat on her."

      "Look Ivy it's not what you think. Ethan and I just got caught up in the moment," Tiffany says not looking the least bit guilty.

      "Caught up in the moment Tiffany? Really? That is the best you have?"

      "Look I don't know why you even care. So jump off your high horse. I hate how you think you're better than everyone else."

     Shocked I search Tiffany's face. She looks relived, like she is finally getting something off her chest. "Is that all or do you have more to say? I need to get Eli and the twins' home."

     "Actually, no that's not all I have to say. I hate you! I've pretended to be your friend the entire time. I never liked you. You walk around the school like you own the place. Like nothing even matters. Every guy that I have ever liked talked to me just to get close to you. I despise you."

      My eyes well up with tears, but I refuse to let them spill over. I won't let her win. God, this hurts so badly. The girl that I thought was my best friend hates me. I wonder if anyone likes me or if it is all just a pretense. I feel a tug on my sleeve and look down at Eli.

     The expression on his face shows maturity that a two year old normally doesn't have. "I like you, mommy."

     I can't help but smile at him. He always knows what to say when I'm sad. That's when his words hit me. My eyes widen and I look down at him. I must be crazy. It can't be true. 'Eli can you hear me', I think to myself.

     "Uh huh," he says aloud nodding his head. Ok its official I'm going crazy. Before I can contemplate which crazy house I would prefer to live in Tiffany starts talking again,

     "Oh well I guess it's good somebody likes you," she sneers.

     Getting fed up with her I say icily, "Look I don't know what your problem is, but it's done with. Oh, and you will NOT talk to me like that in front of Eli again. Do you understand?"

      Fear flashes on her face. She gulps and nods at me. I turn to leave, but before I go I can faintly hear Ethan whisper, "Now you've ruined it."

     I scoop Eli up and gather the boys. On my way home I can't keep my eyes from watering up again. I can't believe she would do that, and what she meant by guys only talk to her to get to me. I've never even dated anybody.

     We arrive at the house and I quickly make my way into my room before bursting into sobs. I slide down onto the ground curling into a ball. I can't take it. My best friend for years hates me. I feel tiny arms wrap trying to wrap around me, then two more sets attempting to do the same.

      "Shh, Ivy it's going to be okay," Aidan whispers.

     "Yeah, we love you sis. We've never loved Tiffany," Arlan says trying to cheer me up.

     "My mommy!" Eli screams trying to get my attention off of Aidan and Arlan. I can't help but giggle at his possessiveness.

     "I'm fine guys," I say while wiping my eyes with the back of my hand. They look at me with concern.

     Arlan's look turns to a calculating one. "Are you sure sis? We could dye Tiffany's hair blue. Just don't use her shampoo bottle."

     I bust out laughing/ "Yes, I'm sure. Guys, I'm fine. Now let's go get something to eat."

     We go to the kitchen and start preparing sandwiches. When were finished I hear the door opening. I tense up hoping it's not Tiffany. Ms. Norwood walks in and my body relaxes until she talks.

     "Guess what Ivy? You're getting adopted!"