Hunting Diana Part 8

Chapter 8

Aaron flings the door open as I shoot fire towards the door.  I don’t care who is in the doorway, and if there is someone there, the heat is only enough for them to jerk back in reaction.  It wouldn’t burn them.  Letting Aaron take the lead, I follow after him.  Our steps make quiet pounding noises as we run down the halls.

No words flow out of our mouths, but our eyes dart back and forth looking for upcoming trouble.  There is none though.  For some odd reason, not a single person tries to stop us from getting to our destination.

“Do you find the quietness eerie?” Clay whispers.

I send him a glare.  “Shh, how do we know they aren’t lurking behind a corner?”

“Because this is a straight hall?”

I turn my face away from him before he can see the smile forming on my lips.  Aaron abruptly stops causing me to smash into his body.  Settling my hands on his shoulders, I pull away with an embarrassed smile.  He looks back at me and motions towards the door.  My teeth clamp down on my lip as I stare at it.  Chris is on the other side of that it.  Who was there with him is a mystery.

The door creaks open as I push it.  Glancing in, I notice a person lying on a white bed.  His body tenses as if he is waiting for an attack, but he doesn’t more towards me.

“Is there anything else you wanted to torture out of me?” he says in a cold voice.  “I don’t know how long it is going to take you to realize that I will never betray them.”

“Chris?” I whisper in hesitation.

His body jumps from the bed, and he is standing in front of me in seconds.  His eyes travel down my body and search my face.  He seems as if he isn’t sure I’m real, and I quickly understand why he is acting like this.  He was used to Tiffany and Diana.  I don’t know my mother’s power, but Tiffany’s was to shape shift.  For all I know, the two could have sent my form in before.

“Is it you?  Is it really you, Ivy?”

I look up and nod, but he still doesn’t move.  Guessing that I have to prove it, I tell him, “The bracelet.  I’m still mad at you about that.”

A smile crosses his face before it disappears.  Shaking his head, he says, “You’re not Ivy.  Ivy would never wear anything like that.”

“What’s wrong with it?  Why does everyone keep commenting on the suit?  Huh?  If you don’t like it, don’t look at me,” I grumble in annoyance.  Why can’t they get over it?

“You sound like Ivy,” he mumbles.

I grit my teeth together to keep from smacking him in the face.  Why doesn’t he just read my mind?  It was a favorite past time of his last time we met. 

“Chris, just read me.  I promise that I’m Ivy.  If you don’t believe me, check,” I tell him voicing my thoughts.

A pained expression crosses his face.  “I can’t.”

“What do you mean?”

Dropping his hands, he turns his back to me and runs a hand through his hair.  “She took them.  Did you ever wonder what your mother’s power is?”

Sympathy rolls through my body.  How would it feel not to have my powers anymore?  How would it feel if someone snatched my fire away?  Empty; I would feel completely empty.  Reaching a hand out, I place it on his shoulder. 

“It’s going to be okay, Chris.  We’ll get your powers back.”

He turns toward me with a sad smile across his face.  “I know, Ivy, and I’m so sorry that you had to get hurt in the process.”

I open my mouth to ask him what he was talking about, but before the words could leave my mouth, something contacts with the side of my face.  The last thing I see before hitting the ground is Chris turning away from me.  The last thing I think is that I’m happy Aaron is on the other side.  Or did they get to him too?