Hunting Diana Part 2

Chapter 2

We are all standing in a box formation. I will be the last to do our new little trick. I look to my left and nod to Clay. His face scrunches up in concentration and within minutes, his body turns to stone. His features are still the same just a rocky tan color. I glance across from me at Blayze. She bites her lip before nodding her head in determination. Her transformation takes longer than Clay’s, but when she is done, it is a remarkable sight.

She is a darker blue color and never stays in one place. Nobody could make out her features, but the body shape was still distinctively female. I turn my head to Aaron and flash him a small smile. He gives one back before he disappears into thin air. It’s my turn now as I close my eyes and concentrate.

I picture Diana and my body turns to fire. My transformation is faster than the others are, but I figure it’s because all I have to do is picture her face, and I’m infuriated. I open my eyes and everything is clearer than before. Where Aaron was once invisible, I could now make out his outline.

“We’re like the Fantastic Four!” Clay screams making me jump in fright. I turn to him and glare. “What I mean come on. I’m The Thing. Ivy is the Human Torch. Aaron is the Invisible Woman, and Blayze is…” he trails off looking dejected.

“She doesn’t work with it. She isn’t like Mr. Fantastic,” he says with sadness in his voice.

“Hey, I’m not a girl!” Aaron exclaims finally realizing what Clay is saying.

“Quiet!” Someone yells from behind me. I turn and see Wyatt standing there with his jaw clenched.

We all look at him waiting for him to continue speaking. Once he realizes he has our undivided attention. “Ivy and Blayze pair off. Clay and Aaron pair off.”

Grumbling, we walk to different sides of the large open field. It needed to be a large place if we were going to spare. The last time we tried practicing inside; there was a flood, a rockslide, a tornado, and a bonfire. It was not a good combination.

Blayze stands in front of me, and I can feel the excitement pulsing off her body. I have to admit, the fight is invigorating. The adrenaline pumping through your veins, the sounds that intensify, the feelings that are slightly dulled, they make it worth fighting.

Her body shifts and an attack come at me from the left. I step out of the way as fast as I can, and the water only grazes my arm. I fake left and throw my right arm out sending her what looks like a curve ball on fire. Her whole body melts to the ground before popping up into its regular shape. The training that we had gone through in the past months worked.

I am one with my fire just as everyone else is one with his or her elements. No one ever wins in a fight, but then again we don’t really try to hurt one another. This is practice. We throw all we have into it, but there is actual heat behind it. Water blasts at my face and I roll on the ground to dodge it.

Nothing catches on fire unless I want it to, so the grass stays unmarred. Standing, I see something fly at me from the right. I step forward and can feel the wind behind the rock graze my neck. My eyes narrow. What is going on?

My once grounded feet are being lifted into the air causing me to become unbalanced, and I finally understand what is happening. They are doing a group attack. Looking down, I don’t see how I would be able to get out of this one. Therefore, I can either work from up here, make Aaron loose his concentration, or just fight until I drop.

I’m thinking the latter. I heat up my fire and it blazes like the sun. Blayze will be the first to get it, then Clay, and like always, I will save the best for last. Not even bothering to turn in her direction, I send out a blast down towards her. My arm doesn’t even lift to give her a heads up. Hmm, I guess I never told them about my new trick.

I learned to project the fire from my body without moving a muscle. It works smoothly for surprise attacks like this one, but once you use it, the people become more alert. Therefore, when I sent out the blast towards Clay, he rolled out of the way instead of it hitting him head on, as it did Blayze.

Letting out a frustrated breath, I sent two more at him in different directions. He dodges them both using a stone wall. Scrunching my eyebrows in concentration, I let loose a tiny fireball about the size of a bumblebee. I throw it at him, and wait until it gets closer before adding as much fire to it as possible. It grows rapidly while getting closer to his body. Not being prepared for a sneak attack, it hits him in the side and he falls.

I look down at Aaron and smirk. Two down one to go. I raise my hand out and think about the degree of my fire rising. Blue covers my palm, and I know that Aaron is preparing for the attack. He does something I do not expect though.

A bubble surrounds me, and I know the fight is over. The air is snuffed out making it impossible to breath and for my fire to stay lit. I glare at him and sit down crossed legged in his creation. I can hold my breath for about four minutes, after that I will panic. The ground is getting closer and closer, until finally my butt lands on the cold earth.

The oxygen is returned to my lungs, but the glare is still on my face. “Using old tricks?” I question him.

He goes back to his regular form most likely so I can see that infuriating smirk. “Why fix what isn’t broken?”

I flash him a smile and try not to laugh at the taken aback expression on his face. Standing, I begin to saunter to where he is standing. Once I reach him, I stand on the tip of my toes. Our lips are only inches away and he leans in closer, then a thump sounds. I back up satisfied while he rubs the back of his head.

“What was that for?”

“For cheating,” I huff crossing my arms over my chest.

“Aw, is Ivy a sore loser?” he mocks and I have to grab my right hand to keep it at my side.

“Ivy is not a sore loser, Ivy just doesn’t like cheaters,” I reply with confidence.

“Why are you talking in third person?” someone asks in my ear causing me to jump and bump my head into their chin.

Aaron laughs, I glare, and Clay rubs his chin. Where in the world is Blayze? She usually controls him. I glance around and find her nowhere, but Clay is bouncing happily. Something is up, and I want to know what it is.

“Hey, Clay?”

“Yeah, Ivy?”

“What’s going on?”

He flashes me a smile. “Well you see since it’s your b-”

A hand comes out of nowhere and smacks onto his mouth. “I said don’t tell her,” Wyatt hisses.

Clay’s eyes widen and he nods vigorously. Wyatt removes his hand and walks off without another word. Well, that’s just odd. I look beside me and notice that Aaron is gone to. I look back towards Clay, but he isn’t standing there anymore either. Where did everyone go?  And what in the world is going on?  How did they just disappear like that?

I start to walk towards the house hoping that I could find out exactly what they were planning.  The entire time, I expect something to jump out at me.  There is no water blasting me in the face, rocks thrown at me, or wind knocking me down.  Everything is eerily quiet, and I don't like it at all.

Here I am walking aimlessly towards the house hoping that they are all okay, while they are off planning something.  My mind is screaming out that something could be wrong, but we are safe for now.  No one can get to us.

‘Mommy! I need help!’  Eli screams in my head.

‘Where are you?’ I ask him trying not to panic. Everything that has happened in the past flashes through my head making my worry increase.

‘In the living room. Hurry!’ he says then cuts of the mental connection.

I sprint towards the house.  Getting to the door in record time, I fling it open, not bothering to close it behind me.  The living room doors are closed, and I open them with as much force as I did the front door.

“Surprise!” rings out from the group of people standing there.

I jump and throw my hand out.  The fire escapes and the once beautifully decorated banner saying 'Happy Birthday Ivy!' is now engulfed with flames.  I flash them a sheepish smile while they all groan.