Chapter 33: Out of Line

“So, Riley’s child isn’t mine...” Ash softly whispers.

I quickly take hold of Ash’s wrist and begin to pull him. “Come on. We need to go tell Dylan.”

“No!” He pauses to pry his arm out of my grip. “Do you know what people will think of me if they know that?”

“Who cares? Do you know what it would mean for Dylan to know that? You don’t need to give him another reason to hate you. It’s for the better. He wouldn’t care-” I begin.

“Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? I should’ve never told you. Of course you wouldn’t think that there was anything wrong with telling the whole fucking world; You’re perfect!” Ash shouts.

“I’m not perfect.” I seem to step closer to Ash as I grind my teeth in anger.

“Just forget it. I regret telling you everything. From my condition to all about Nathan. You were never even worth it. I don’t know what I was thinking when I bit you...” Ash’s words seem to fade as soon as Nathan’s name reaches my ears.

That’s when it hits me. All the memories. All the pain. All the love. He’s gone, and I was too busy to even remember him. Guilt fills my mind and stomach; making both want to explode. I hold the tip of my sweeter’s sleeve to catch the tears that stream down my face.

“I’m sorry that it has to be like this but, I can’t keep chasing you. S-Scarlet?” Ash mutters while taking a step towards me.

Ash’s voice acts as a arm that pulls me out of my daydreaming. “Huh?” I mutter from not paying close attention to his words.

“Hey.” He wipes the remanding tears from my face away. “There’s no need to cry. We could fix this.”

He must’ve been too busy talking to even read my mind. Just go along with it, I order myself.

“Ash no it’s not fixable. It won’t be.” I take a second to breathe in the cold air before exhaling slowly. “I have to go home. Everyone is going to start to wonder where I ran off too.” I quickly explain.

Ash takes hold of my sweeter’s collar and pulls me closer to him. He then kisses my forehead softly. I begin to slowly step back. “Bye” I mutter. I then begin my long and cold walk home.

Walking inside I smell the sweet scent of cinnamon.

“Scarlet!” Dylan’s mother greets me.

In her hands are red mittens. She wears a peach apron that’s filled with a lot of different colored stains.

“Hi.” I take a look around. “What’s going on?”

“Oh, Blake called a last minute meeting for the pack. They’re outside on the porch. I’m inside because I thought that I could bake them all something nice to eat.” She sweetly answers.

The sound of the porch door opening makes me snap my attention towards it. Green eyes blankly stare back at me.

“Dylan.” I whisper.

He simply just ignores me. “Mom, I’m going to run back to the house. Dad forgot to bring his phone.”

He brushes past me bumping into my shoulder. The front door slams closed. Ouch. I almost forgot that Dylan is upset. Walking over to the porch door makes Blake notice me. He rushes to stand up and make his way inside.

“Hey Scarlet.” He pauses to make sure that I’m listening. “Listen. Dylan doesn’t seem happy, neither does his father. I think that it’s best that you just sit this one out. You could watch television upstairs or you could-”