Chapter 9: The First Encounter

I begin to huff and puff. I realize I can’t control my breathing. I look back to see if he’s chasing me. He runs on his four paws. Great, a human running from a wolf. It’s a matter of time before he catches up. I push my legs to run faster.

I can tell he’s close because I can hear his breath. With one motion I find myself on the ground. A wolf pins me to the ground. Even if I had gotten out of his sight, he would’ve found me because he is a natural born hunter.

I glance at my bare arms. Blood dips down the side of my arm. The wolf has his nails dig deep into my skin.

“Get off of me, you filthy mutt!” I yell.

I can see the anger quickly paint on his face. He applies more pressure to my arms and lets out a low growl.

“What did you say? I’m sorry, I don’t speak idiot.” I say.

He begins to bark and leans down towards my arm. He opens his mouth and bites my arm. I let out a yell of pain. My pain seems to satisfy him. I stare at the mark. Blood spills and loose skin hangs from the wound.

Wolves would bite their prey as a way to hunt. The wolf’s natural poison would leak into the prey’s bloodstream. Within just hours the prey would die, the wolf would track it’s prey down and feast on the corpse.

When the wolf’s poison would mix correctly with a human’s blood, it creates a bound. A bound almost as strong as a bound mates would carry. The bound would only work if the human survives. Only a small percentage ever lives, and if they live, they become wolves.

That’s why not many people would bite their lovers, because of the risk of death. Basically, I’m screwed both ways.

“Bastard.” I mutter.

He begins to bark again. His paws dig deeper into my skin. I let out another cry. Can anyone even hear me? He leans close to my face.

“Just finish me off already.” I order while closing my eyes.

Instead of feeling more pain, I hear a dog yelp in pain. I open my eyes and sit up. A wolf attacks my attacker. This wolf is beautiful. Unlike one I’ve never seen before. His fur his honey colored with drops of dark, rich brown.

His eyes are pure hazel. I can feel my heart race. I whisper something that makes me want to never leave him out of my sight.

“Mate.” I whisper softly.

Then, I notice that my attacker pins my mate to the ground. I want to yell out, to be able to runaway with my mate to safety. But, that’s not going to happen.

Please run. I’ll be fine.

His words run smoothly through my mind and make my heart want to beat out of my chest. I stand up and begin to run. Tears run down my eyes. I spot running to lean on a tree and take a rest. I look around me. I spot a golden light. The bonfire. I begin to run into the direction. Out of the forest, I run right into Andy.

“Hey, where have you been-” He begins, he stops talking as soon as he sees the condition I’m in. “What happened?”

“Nothing.” I reply flatly.

“Scarlet, you’re bleeding.” He notes.

“Don’t say anything to anyone. I’m going home for awhile to clean up okay? If anyone asks about me say it was getting cold so I wanted to get a sweater.” I explain.

“No, let me come with you.” Andy offers.

“I’m fine, I’ll be right back.” I begin to walk. “Use this as a way to prove to me that I can trust you.”