Chapter 39: Boundaries

“Don't say that out loud.” Ash scolded at me.

My head begins to tilt. “No one is around."

Ash looks around slowly and then steps forward. “That doesn't mean that people still can't hear.”

I suddenly grew impatient. I wanted to know where my mate was. “Where is he anyways?”

Ash grabs my hand and pulls me a side. “Scarlet, he's legally dead. We didn't know that he was pretending.”

“Wait, so what or who is in that casket? What is under his grave?” I almost shouted.

“Gosh, you don't have a mute button don't you?” He pauses to sigh. “I don't know someone else. My mom and I are going to go to the police station and cemetery and figure it out. All I know is that there is someone down there.”

My heart rate increased and I grew worried.

“Why are you worried? Your dear mate isn't dead.” He points out quite bluntlty.

“There's still someone dead though Ash. There's someone's family that won't have closure until you sort it out. I won't have closure until you sort it out!” I was yelling at this point.

How could he be so insensitive?

“There we go again. I find it funny how even though I'm not Alpha anymore, people still expect me to fix problems.” And with that he was off.

Two humans that were walking by looked up. They must've heard the wolf terminology. Their eyes were following Ash as he left and then they redirected them back to me.

“What? “ I paused to think. “It's just one of those role-playing games, y-you know...the ones on the internet?”

They seemed to think that I was crazy. That's great! I'd rather have them think that I'm crazy then to have them question me. At least this way they won't tell anyone. I thought about storming after him but the bell stopped me right in my tracks.

After school, Dylan could tell that something is wrong. “Dylan, I think I'm going to walk home. Could you maybe tell the others that?”

“Yeah, sure thing.” He paused just when I was about to leave. “Is everything alright?”

“I just need to clear my head.” I said with a smile.

“Is that something you want to do alone or should I come with you?” He slowly replied.

“I think it's something that I need to do alone. Thank you for the offer though.” I then saw Ash walk out of the school building and into the parking lot. “Alright. I'll see you when I get home.”

“Bye.” I heard him whisper back.

I began to run after Ash. I didn't want him to leave before I got a hold of him. “Ash!” Thankfully he turned around at the sight of his own name.

“I'm so sorry.” I breathlessly apologized. “You shouldn't have to fix something that you don't want to fix. No one is going to hold it against you.”

The sunlight seemed to have hit him perfectly because when he spoke, I could clearly see his smile. “Come on, I'll take you to go see Nathan.” Maybe it was just my words that hit him perfectly.

My eyes lit up quickly at the sound of his name. Ash drove me all the way to his house. He drove fast when I told him that I was grounded. I guess he didn't want me to get caught with him. When we were pulling up to his house, my wolf got happy. I was close enough to hear his thoughts.

Nathan probably knew that I was coming because he came rushing outside. His hazel eyes were bright and sparkling. He quickly took me in his embrace.

“I told you I would see you again, didn't I?” I whispered.

His lips carefully worked their way to mine. I slightly giggled at his eagerness to kiss me.

“I'm sorry. I just can't help it.” He said. Nathan then looked at Ash. “Thank you so much for bringing her here.”

I took his hands in mine. “How are you?”

“I'm fantastic actually. What about you? How was your day?” He softly responded.

To search for my thoughts my eyes wandered. My eyes then landed on Mrs. Parker standing in front of the steps. Her hands were crossed and her face was film. I instinctively let go of Nathan's hands. His reaction was to look back.

“Go home.” She ordered.

“Please, let me just say goodbye first.” I pleaded with water filling my eyes.

Nathan leaned down and kissed my forehead. “Goodbye.”

“Goodbye.” I muttered.

I slowly turned around. “Oh and Scarlet, don't come back.” With those cold words engraved in my mind, I continued forward.

I honestly was scared of looking back.

“Do you want a ride home?” Ash quickly asked.

“No thank you. They would see your car pull up.” I paused but then continued walking. “I have to go.”

I began to run. Part of me was happy that Mrs. Parker told me to leave because I lost track of time. Eventually I started to get tired but that wasn't the most painful part. The most painful part was knowing that I wouldn't be able to stop until I got home.

When I reached the steps of my front door, I stopped to catch air.

I then opened the door to see Andy and Dylan on the cream colored couch.

“Hey, you made it before it started to rain.” Andy congratulated. “Why are you panting?”

“I was scared that it was going to rain so I made a run for it.” I lied.

“Makes sense, you left your umbrella by the door.” Dylan pointed out.

My eyes then gravitated towards the umbrella. Thank goodness that I left it there. At least I was home now.

“Scarlet, we have a pack meeting now.” Dylan stands up and walks over to me. “Actually we were waiting for you to come home. We want to take you.”

I could feel my heart race faster. “B-But I'm Omega. That's not allowed.”

“I mean it's not that it isn't allowed, it's just not traditional.” He answered. “Come on, we'll go next doors.”

As we headed out the door, I noticed that Andy didn't follow. “Andy aren't you coming?”

“Huh?” He looked up from the television. “Oh no, I'm too amazing for those meetings.”

“Whatever.” I muttered with a smile.

Of course the walk to Dylan's house was brief. When we opened the door, there they all sat around a table. As always, the host of the house would cook and then the higher ranks would be left to discuss. Here sat Blake and Kevin. I was surprised to see Kevin but then I remembered that he was promoted to Delta, which is the third highest rank.

Dylan lowered his voice. “So for today we just want you to sit in and listen. Eventually we would want you discuss but we're not there yet.”

I gently nodded my head.

Dylan sat down and glanced at the chair next to him. He was ordering me to sit there without even using words.

Instead, I grab a chair and sit a couple of feet away from them. Since I am the lowest rank, I did not want to disrespect them and how hard they worked to come to pack meetings. Once Blake noticed that I sat so far away, he gave Dylan a look. Almost like a look of approval.

They then began to discuss and bicker on topics that were surrounding the pack.

Some of them were as simple as setting up patrolling times. Others were as complicated as boundaries and trespassing.

To be honest, most of the time I did not know what all this information meant.

Although, I do hope to learn soon.