Chapter 40: Old Faces

I haven't seen Nathan in a long time. I promised him that I would see him soon but Ash told me that his mother confiscated Nathan's phone.

I was walking through the hallways with Ash and my thoughts took over.

“It's understandable.” I muttered.

He stopped at his locker to collect his books. “What is? How my mother is keeping him locked up?”

I found it terrifying and always felt uneasy when Nathan's name was pushed out of the conversation. His name became a deadly weapon. A weapon that we weren't allowed to unveil. It was when Ash was placing his books in his bag that I noticed the bandage that covered a great part of his hand. I wanted to ask what happened but I didn't want to invade anymore that I already have.

“Yes. I mean, I understand why she is doing it.” Ash's face wrinkled with confusion. “I'm not saying that I agree with it. I am only saying that I realize why she is doing it.”

Ash slammed his metal locker shut causing me to flinch. I don't know why I even did flinch. He wasn't angry or anything, he just slammed it shut. I guess we were both on edge.

As we walked outside, I sighed. “She's just protecting her baby.”

“You mean her pup?” Ash was always picky about the usage of wolf terminology.

I nodded my head. “Yeah, sorry.” I whispered.

“I mean that's one way you could look at her intentions.” Ash began to back up towards his car. “I'll see you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow.” I softly said clutching my books.

I walked home with Andy and it really wasn't pleasant. He always curved and swayed when he walked. The walk back was silent. It was exactly what I needed to recollect my thoughts. Then, Andy stopped right in his tracks. His eyes were wide.

“Riley.” He muttered as he jogged towards my doorstep.

Riley sat there enjoying the sun. When she saw me she stood up and gave me her best smile. “Hi.”

“Hey.” I greeted gently.

Andy looked uncomfortable. He was making eye contact but it wasn't to be polite. It was a dominant gesture in this case. “What are you doing here?”

Riley looked down at her hands. Her fingers were nervously intertwining. “I was wondering if I could stay for a while.” Her voice was light and feathery.

“I would need to ask my dad, but it sounds like it would be okay.” I gave a friendly smile and walked in with Andy close behind me.

Andy pulled me aside for a moment. “Are you sure this is a good idea? What about Dylan?”

I began to shake my head. “He'll be fine.”

I turned a little bit too quickly and found myself dizzy. I touched my head, took a breath, and kept walking as if nothing happened. My father agreed with Riley staying over.

Riley took me in her embrace when she heard the news. “Thank you, Scarlet.”

“No problem.” I took her book bag and slug it around my shoulder. “Let's get you settled in.”

Andy gave me one last look before I walked up the stairs. Riley followed close behind me. “How have you been?”

Her voice peered from behind me. “Fine.”

I plopped her bag on my bed. “You'll sleep on the bed this time.” I gave her another smile. For some reason, having Riley around actually makes me feel a little bit happier.