Chapter 14: Claiming Property

“Scarlet, what’s going on?” Nathan asks in a soft voice.

I stand there unresponsive. How am I supposed to tell him about what happened?

You can tell me anything.

“Can you please stop reading my mind?” I ask kindly.

“If that’s what you want, then of course.” He pauses. “But what happened?”

“Can you just drop it?” I mutter.

“No, I can’t drop it because when you see your mate crying that means someone hurt her. If someone hurt her, then I have to take care of things.” He explains.

I can’t help to smile and stare at his brace. “Threatens the boy in the brace?”

“Funny.” He replies sarcastically. “Now tell me what’s wrong.”

“I’m Omega of my pack. Of course I’m unhappy.” I lie.

He pulls me into a hug. His warmth instantly wraps around me. I press my forehead on his chest and close my eyes. He kisses the top of my head.

“I’m sorry about your rank. But what can you do? Your Alpha must be an idiot.” Nathan comforts.

“He is an idiot. Nathan, you need to go home and rest your leg, okay?” I order while attempting to change the subject.

He pulls away from our hug.

“I will. You should be heading home too.” He adds.

“Bye. See you Monday?” I call out, beginning to walk home.

“See you Monday.” He confirms.

I make my way home. I make sure to take my time on the walk. Once I open the door, I spot Dylan in the kitchen. No one else is downstairs. I manage to walk past him and navigate myself to the living room. I can hear his footsteps following me to the living room.

I lay down on the couch and turn the TV on. I lay down so that there’s no room for Dylan to sit next to me. He gently moves my legs and sits on the couch. He stares at me with the desire for me to make contact with his eyes. I keep my eyes glued on the screen.

“Where were you this morning?” He asks softly.

“I took a walk.” I mutter.

“It’s fine. But next time, I want to wake up and see you laying next to me.” He orders.

“Next time? You’re lucky we had this time.” I say while quickly sitting up.

His expression turns firm. He looks down on the ground. Is this really the man that I may have pups with? He was different before.

“Don’t talk to your Beta like that.” He orders.

“My Beta? Dylan help me out here. What are you to me? Are you my Beta? My friend? Dylan? A lover? Please help me solve this fricken mystery.” I question.

I can feel his negative vibe give off once those words slip out of my mouth. It’s true, one moment he’s my friend and now he’s my Beta. It changes everything. It changes how we speak to each other and what he do. He looks up at my stomach.

He gently lays his hand on it. I let him keep it there, considering the fact that his child may be in my belly.

“What are we going to do then?” He asks.

“You have to go with your mate.” I remind.

“Is that what you want?” He questions.

I slightly nod my head. He lets out a long sigh and stands up. He walks out of the front door. I did what I had to do. The only thing that worries me is Nathan. How are we supposed to have a relationship when but of our packs don’t get along? I let out a sigh and let myself fall asleep on the couch.