19| The Other Side

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

 ― Marcus Tullius Cicero 

Chapter 19: The Other Side

   Riya slept in. When she woke up it was ten in the morning. She felt bitter thinking about the events of last night. Was she really a witch? She was, she thought. Madhan didn't deserve to be in a loveless life.

  She folded her bedsheets and walked into Madhan's room to brush her teeth and take a shower. She didn't see Madhan in his room. When she came out of the shower, she saw Madhan in the hall, watching people bring in her boxes that her parents shipped.

   "Oh my gosh, everything is here," she squealed. She dropped her clothes in the laundry basket and went to the hall to overlook the proceedings.

   Madhan signed a couple of forms, and once the men left, he turned to find Riya unpacking a box. "Need help?"

   "Nope. I'm fine," she replied, busily trying to peel the tape off.

   "Wait, I'll get the knife," he said as he went to the kitchen.

   Madhan brought the knife and started it tearing open another box.

   "Don't touch my stuff," Riya snapped.

   "Whoa. What happened? I'm just trying to help."

   "I wouldn't have minded if you hadn't drank yesterday," Riya said, her eyes clouded with anger.

   "What? I didn't drink!" Madhan said, shocked. His thoughts wandered back to the previous evening. He remembered Armaan taking him to the club, and meeting Sheila. After that, everything seemed hazy. He didn't remember anything after that. Which definitely meant he drank.

   "I'm so sorry, Riya," he said, apologetically. "Excuse me." Madhan walked out the door to Armaan's house. He had a bunch of explaining to do.

   "What the hell happened yesterday," Madhan thundered.

   Armaan sighed. He had just finished making coffee. "Want some?" he offered.

   "What happened?" he repeated again, this time, more impatiently.

   "Nothing. You and Sheila danced. And then you drank something, but I guess it was accidentally spiked, and you kept drinking despite us trying to stop you."

   "And you said I could trust you."

   "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for that to happen at all. It was a total accident. But I really had your best interests at heart. Please give me another chance?"

   Madhan thought over it. "Okay, only because I have no choice," he said.

   "Now here's what I want you to do. Listen carefully..." Armaan went on to speak about his plan. Madhan didn't like it one bit but he didn't have a choice.

   "Okay, I'll do as you say." Madhan left his apartment, and Armaan smiled to himself.

   His plan has already kickstarted and he was sure it was going to work. His thoughts roamed to his ex-girlfriend, Shanaaya, and his anger boiled. That brat claimed she loved him, but got married to some rich guy her parents arranged. If that wasn't enough, she told him that she would have waited for him, but didn't think it was worth it, since he had a long way to get to the position where her current husband was.

   Armaan was a mechanical engineer. He finished his higher studies two years ago and was currently working in Rolls Royce. He was twenty-five now, and his parents were the kind who kept asking if HE loved anyone.

   When he thought about what Riya was doing to Madhan, that's when he exploded. How can she be such a witch after everything Madhan's done to her? For the sake of Madhan though, he is going to make Riya fall in love with Madhan.

   Sheila was lying on her bed, her pillow damped with tears.

   Her Madhan. Her dear lovely Madhan was married.

   What hurt her most was that she didn't even propose to him.

   She and Madhan were colleagues. She was a gorgeous brunette, with flawless skin, and an amazing figure. She dated most of the men in her office and stayed away from men like Madhan, who wasn't good looking. It wasn't until they became project partners that Sheila realized what a gem Madhan was. She was a lonely person. She was orphaned when she was ten, and it was through her hard work and determination that she graduated with scholarship and landed a good job in the computer industry.

   No one taught her the do's and don'ts of life. She made plenty of mistakes and suffered very dearly for every one of them. But once Madhan came into her life, everything turned upside down. She was really happy. He never spoke to her much, but certain things he did for her really touched her. It seemed like he was the only person who treated her like she belonged. Like someone truly cared for her.

   Whenever she and Madhan were to walk through a door, he would always hold it for her and smile. During their project, if Sheila needed to stay back for the night, Madhan would make sure she was safe. There were times when he had stayed along with her, choosing to work on something else while he waited for her. When someone arrogantly dismissed a not so well thought idea, Madhan had kindly explained to her why it wasn't a good idea.

   Sheila was miserable after the project got over. They were teamed in completely different product teams, and there was no way they would get a chance to work together. Sheila resumed her playgirl ways in an effort to get over him. She had too much ego to ask him out, and she knew Madhan wouldn't look at her in that way, especially if he hadn't when she was actually working with him.

   Madhan never did anything to lead her on. That was the worst part. He had no idea that she was totally in love with him. And to see him hurt like this pained her. She knew she would take care of him so well if she was the one married to him.

   Sheila became ecstatic when Armaan called her and told her he needed her help again. He was one of the guys she slept with. It was during the time Madhan was in India. But one night was enough to determine that they would never hit it off. They continued to remain in touch since they felt they could connect quite well.

Madhan didn't deserve a witch as a wife. He deserved her.

 Madhan, here I come. You won't even know what hit you.

Okay, so now Sheila made her mark. Should we be worried?! :P Please comment and vote <3 Hope you liked the chapter! :D