27| Big Round Belly

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. 

-Socrates

Chapter 27: Big Round Belly

   "Sheila is pregnant," Madhan said, looking white.

   "Okay, so?" Riya asked. " You shouldn't be this worried unless... you...?"

   Riya couldn't finish her sentence. It was bad enough that Madhan asked for a divorce, but the reason for that not actually being her? That she couldn't digest.

   "Sleep with her?" Armaan finished.

   "Of course not," Madhan protested, while Sheila said, "Yes he did," at the same time, from behind me.

   "Excuse me, " Madhan said, turning around to face her.

   "That's nonsense. You can't be the father," Armaan scoffed. What was Sheila thinking? Was there something going on between them, just like Riya thought?

   Sheila sighed. "I drank too much twice. One was that time during the bar, and the other was yesterday. But I have no recollection of what happened, whatsoever. And I'm guessing something happened during the previous meeting."

   "No. This can't be happening. I was drunk that day too. No." Madhan shook his head violently. He looked at Riya to see how she was taking in the situation.

   "Did you, or did you not end up with me in bed yesterday," Sheila asked, raising her eyebrows.

   "But," Madhan stuttered. He couldn't, could he have? How can he not remember something like that happened? He was so sure he wouldn't cheat on Riya even in his dreams. Was.

   "Answer the question," Sheila demanded.

   "Yes, but."

   "What the hell?" Riya was enraged. She walked up to Sheila and slapped her.

   Sheila placed her palm on the spot Riya just slapped. She looked over at Madhan, who was agitatedly pacing about the room. She smiled a little at Riya. "I'm sorry," she shrugged. "We were both drunk."

   "Nothing could have happened. She was wearing her clothes," Madhan said, in denial.

   "I don't care! Is this what you have been doing behind my back all these days? I haven't asked you a single thing about where you went and when you were going to be back. I was trying to make an effort to become friends." Riya was seething.

   Sheila looked at Madhan, wistfully. "You have no idea how sorry I am this happened. Please Madhan, divorce her and marry me instead. I can't raise him/her by myself." Sheila rubbed her stomach tenderly. On that cue, Sheila rushed to the wash basin and puked. Madhan rushed to her aid and held the sides of her head while she continued to throw up.

   Riya's world came crashing down. She needed to be alone. Without another word, she walked out of Armaan's house.

   Meanwhile, Armaan who was so confused till then had a light bulb moment that would settle the confusion once and for all.

   "Did you take the pregnancy test, Sheila?" Armaan asked.

   Sheila wiped her mouth with a towel and thanked Madhan. "What do you take me for? I'm not stupid. Of course I took one!" she said, walking to his bathroom. "Here," she threw the pregnancy test device, and Armaan caught it at the nick of time.