32| A Brave Soul

God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.

William Shakespeare

Chapter 32: A Brave Soul

   Madhan made two of the biggest mistakes in the world. The second biggest mistake in the world was that he called Sheila to take care of his sick wife while he went to work. Her shift was only in the afternoon and Madhan had an important client to meet, so he couldn't take leave.

   The first biggest mistake he made was to not tell Riya the latest happenings.

   Which was why when Sheila entered Riya's room, she got hit with a pillow, in the face.

   To say the least, that Sheila was surprised was an understatement.

   She understood Riya would be angry, but acting like a child?

   "Look, I'll make things clear. I don't want to be here more than you don't want me here. But Madhan asked me to watch out for you, and since I owe him one, I'm doing it for him. Just eat your medicines and the food I cook for you, and I'll be gone by twelve. Got it?"

   "No," Riya said stubbornly. "You owe me one. Not him. I'm the one who's going to end up dumped."

   Sheila looked at Riya curiously. Hadn't Madhan told her? She looked at her face to see any sort of expression, and all she could see was sadness.

   She strolled to Riya's drawer, took out an aspirin and gave it to her. She gave her some water to drink.

   "I'll be back in fifteen minutes, Riya," Sheila said and walked out of the room as quickly as she could. But not quickly enough since she heard the next words of Riya. "Don't ever be back."

   Sheila hid a smile. That woman was in for a surprise.

   She boiled hot water and waited for two minutes before adding concentrated tomato soup powder. No one can go wrong with tomato. She wondered why Madhan opted for mushroom soup.

   Like she had said, she was back in Riya's room, fifteen minutes later. She saw Riya picking at her stuffed polar bear.

   Sheila walked to the right side of her bed and set the soup on her table stand.

   "Please eat it while it's hot."

   "How do I know it's not poisoned?" asked Riya, eying the bowl suspiciously.

  "I wish I could have," Sheila said, smiling.

   It wasn't required of her to be nice. In fact, she was really struggling to be as patient as possible. But she had to face reality at some point of time. The sooner she accepts it, the faster it will be for her to recover. She couldn't have been more fortunate to have found someone like Armaan.

   Armaan was growing on her. Their friendship was growing steadily, and she was constantly surprised by his demeanor. He had never shown her any chivalry, and to be suddenly engulfed by it, startled her.

   Riya didn't know why, but she started smiling too. There was something about Sheila that made her feel like she could trust her. Was it her fever?

   "Thank you. I appreciate it."

   Riya was angry, but not at Sheila. How could he have left her dangling like that? She would have rather been left alone than be taken care of in the hands of her husband's soon to be new wife.

   Sheila nodded curtly, feeling relieved and left the room. She glimpsed a notebook on top of her desk. She decided she would read it once Riya fell asleep. Half an hour later, Sheila checked on her and found her to be sound asleep.