39| Some Hot Stuff

"Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you." 

― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Chapter 39: Some Hot Stuff

   Riya frantically dug her shelf to find something to wear for the Dandia Night they were going to. It was being conducted at a Temple Hall. Sheila had told them about it a week ago, and Riya was super excited. She was stepping out of the house only tonight after the whole park outing. She was never one to plan out her dress and accessories the day before, which was why she was stuck without a dress at the moment.

   She had a gorgeous red Ghagra Choli, but she didn't want to wear it since she needed someone to pin the back of her blouse. There was no way she was going to ask Madhan. She would have asked Sheila but things were still awkward, and she didn't want to hurt Sheila more than she had to. Riya knew the pain of loving someone but not being able to be with them.

   When Riya thought about it, she realized she had stopped thinking about Aakash. She hardly emailed him, and she didn't mention him even once in her diary. It didn't mean she stopped loving him, it was just that she was too busy to feel heart broken. Madhan was doing a good job of taking her mind away from him.

   He might just happen to succeed in charming her if he continued this way, despite all the silly things he would do to impress her but end up failing miserably. More than annoying her, she thought his gestures were extremely sweet and cute. As long as it was all his effort only.

   Riya peeped out the door to see if Madhan was there. His back was facing her and she couldn't see what he was doing. She quietly closed the door and leaned behind it.

   What was she going to do? Her heart sank when she knew she had no other choice.

   Riya opened the door again to find him in a different position. He was sitting on the sofa reading a newspaper and was looking at his watch every two minutes.

   Madhan had sensed her presence and looked up from his paper. She's not ready yet? An hour had already passed after he got ready. If they didn't leave in half an hour, they might miss the introduction dance where they walk in as a couple. He really didn't want to miss that.

   An inaudible gasp escaped Riya's lips when she saw him. Madhan looked undeniably handsome. He had his hair styled, and was wearing a Kurta Pyjama, His face was almost clear, thanks to her mother's magic paste. She could see the hardened chest underneath the cloth, and his arms were slightly bulky.

   "Do you need any help?" Madhan asked.

   Riya turned a beet red. Madhan misunderstood her silence and started stammering. "I uh didn't mean it in uh that way," he said, before he could stop himself.

   Riya turned an even darker shade as she understood what he said he didn't imply. He indirectly asked if she needed help in getting dressed. Literally.

   "Um no," Riya composed herself. "I was going to tell you to carry on. I'm not coming."

   Madhan narrowed his eyes at her. The super excited Riya for one week says she's not coming on the actual day of Dandia night. Something was wrong. And if she wasn't going to tell him, he was going to make her tell him. "Yeah? Okay. I'll get going then."

   Riya watched in dismay as she saw Madhan get up and straighten his kurta. That's it? No 'why aren't you coming?' or if you're not going then neither am I? Sheesh. She took back what she meant about him being sweet. He wasn't.