16| The Plan

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
―Oscar Wilde 

Chapter 16: The Plan 

   That night after dinner, everything went on uneventfully. The two didn't speak. They acted like strangers. Madhan tossed around in his bed, unable to sleep. It was one in the night. Trying his luck, he pulled out his phone and dialed Armaan's number.

   "Hello," Armaan said, groggily. His eyes were still closed.

   "Hey it's me, Madhan. I need a favor," he whispered, not wanting to wake up Riya even though she was in another room.

   "Hey dude, what's up? Did someone die?" Armaan asked, instantly sitting up. His mate never called him up, and he knew Madhan didn't trust him. It was strange that he was calling him at this hour. Something terrible must have happened.

   "What? No! Of course not." Maybe it was a bad idea to call him, Madhan thought. He sighed and continued. "I need your advice on something."

   "Hmmm. Come home, maybe? I have Cheetos," Armaan said. He rubbed his eyes awake, got out of bed, and walked to his shelf. He took out his trousers and wore them on.

   "Yeah I'll be there in two," Madhan said, and hung up. Everyone who knew him knew that Cheetos was the way to lure him into anything they wanted him to do.

   He quickly put on a shirt and slowly tip-toed out of the house. Madhan made sure the door didn't squeak as he closed it. Then with a quick click, he locked the door from outside and hurried into Armaan's apartment. He was terrified of ghosts that might have been loitering around at that time of hour.

   Armaan ushered him into the house, and flicked all the lights on. He placed two cups on the coffee table, and poured Sprite into it. "I know you don't drink, so I got you sprite," Armaan said, as he closed the lid on the Sprite bottle.

   Madhan sat down on the sofa, grateful to Armaan, but he was fidgeting. The apartment was quite exquisite, similar to his own. He appreciated the décor, which Armaan confessed was his ex girlfriend's doing. Madhan awkwardly smiled and kept silent. He would ask him about her another time.

   "So, what brings you at this hour," Armaan questioned. "We both know you don't trust me."

   "No, it isn't like that," Madhan answered, as he popped in a cheeto. "I just don't like your playboy ways. That's it. Otherwise I love you like my brother," he said. It was a total lie, but Armaan didn't have to know. He didn't have another choice. He needed help. For once he was glad that Armaan knew how to charm his way around girls. Who would know how to help better than him?

   Armaan whistled. "I didn't see that coming. As much as I don't want to say it, I feel the same way too. Like you're the older brother I can count on," he smiled. Madhan was bluffing. He could totally see it. But maybe there was a big chance that they could actually have a brotherly relationship. Because, unlike Madhan, what he felt was really true.  

   "I don't know where to begin," Madhan muttered, beating straight into the bush.

   "Well it has to be something big. Otherwise I doubt you would have come to me."

   "It has everything to do with Riya."

   "Oh. Girl trouble. You, my man, have come to the right person."

   Madhan got up and walked towards the balcony, his back facing Armaan.

   "I didn't know that Riya loves someone until yesterday," he said, dejectedly.

   "That witch," Armaan said, getting up. "She lied to you?"

   "More like hid it from me. And don't call her that. She isn't what you think she is."

   "Getting defensive. Hmm. Well, that was wrong though. I'm assuming you have more to say, since you think she's an angel." he asked.

   Madhan nodded. He turned around and faced Armaan. "Yeah she is one. I know it doesn't appear so, but if you knew what she had to go through, you would understand."

   "Okay then tell me," Armaan said, taking a sip.

    "I confronted her about it. I read her diary. It was by accident. I thought it was something else, but once I started reading, I was hooked. I couldn't stop. That's why we had the fight. She got angry I read her diary, and I got angry she lied. I don't know how it would have ended if you hadn't come. You came and we stopped fighting. But after you left, she apologized, and said she wanted to be housemates for a while. "

   "Okay and? "

   "No and! That's why I came to you!"

   "Can I confess something?"

   Madhan looked at him wearily. Confessions are never good. "What?" he asked, weakly.

   "I flirted around with her."

   Madhan punched him in the stomach and pushed him onto the sofa. "Never do that again," he growled.

   "Oww," Armaan bowled over. He took a minute to regain his composure, and then said, "Dude! I didn't complete what I had to say."

   "I don't want to hear it," Madhan said, starting to leave.

  "Well, she didn't respond to any of my advances. She will stay faithful to you. That much I know about girls."

   Madhan laughed bitterly.

   "So she rebuffed my advances, and supported you, rather. And I only played around to see if she loved you. I wanted to make sure you wouldn't get hurt. We both know that given your physical appearance, it might be hard to keep girls, but I'm sure Riya isn't going to let you go anytime soon."

   Madhan grunted. "Okay sorry man. But that's good to hear. I am insulted, but I can't help but agree with that. Guess I have to hit the gym then," he sighed.

   "What? Why do you wanna go to the gym?"

   "Don't kid me. You know why."

   "No, I don't. Tell me why."

   "Because Riya wants me to be slimmer."

   "There's your reason. But that's all wrong! Who said love is all about looks huh? The day you feel you need to go to the gym for YOURSELF is the day I'll start training you myself. But for now, we are going to look at other things."

   "Like what," Madhan asked, curiously.

   "Maybe your communication skills? The way you interact with girls?"

   "I just need to interact with one girl."

   "Hmm, but you need practice with that, so we'll start with other girls for now."

   Madhan shrugged. "Okay, you're the boss." And for the first time that night, he smiled.

   Armaan couldn't just wait to get started with his plan. It was time to teach Madhan how to woo his bride!

More about the plan in the next chapter ;) Hope you liked the brotherly connection here! :) Please vote and comment <3