8| Hitched

Silence can never be misquoted.

        -Anonymous

Chapter 8: The Wedding

   Madhan spent the next two days with his family. He was at home very relaxed and bonded with his sister. He accompanied his mother and sister for shopping in the evenings, to buy what was necessary for the unofficial engagement. 

   The unofficial engagement was between the two parties only and finding out if the girl and guy like each other. The official engagement was when they called their relatives and friends over.

   His mother wanted him to wear a veshti on Friday, but he strictly said no. He was wearing his formal shirt and pants and having it no other way. His sister bought a new half sari, and was quite excited about it. His mother was too busy deciding exactly what gold jewellery to wear. 

   After all, a wedding is the only time you can actually flaunt your jewellery.

   Riya spent her last three days single crying her eyes out. A third person would wonder why she would even agree to marry him, but sometimes marriage isn't all about love. It's about the security and comfort you get out of it. Riya was no doubt still in love with Aakash. But she couldn't share it with anyone. 

   She wanted to tell Madhan about him, but she didn't have the guts to. She decided to never let him know. He would feel hurt and extremely bad. But the main reason why she didn't tell him was because she was afraid he would say no. And if he told her mother the reason, god knows how royally screwed she was.

   Riya's mother was extremely busy having to run errands here and there. She was happy Riya agreed to marry him. She knew her life was settled if Riya married Madhan, but she was also sad to see her daughter hurting. Age to her was really important. She knew Riya thought she was thinking about society and what they'll think but that wasn't the case. 

   As they grow older, she will feel more insecure about her age, and if her husband was younger she would worry if he will go for younger women. Riya read a lot of books, and she wouldn't be surprised if she grew paranoid and conjured up scenes from books in her head.

   Mrs... Sharma left Riya to herself. If she spoke to her about it, Riya would just get more angry. Riya probably hated her right now, but later she'll thank her. She knew it. Aakash was a delightful boy, but he was just starting his job while Riya had already worked for three years, and only because he dumped her, he went to London. Otherwise, he would have stayed back for her. Now, Aakash was a nice boy. She didn't want his future to be ruined for love. Now was the age to explore and discover what you are and what you want.

   The official engagement went on smoothly. Riya and Madhan didn't talk much. All they had to do was stand next to each other or sit next to each other most of the time, for the pooja. Riya had to go all decked up and sit on the dais, and then the groom's mother was supposed to give her another sari to change into and she had to change again.

   It was a very tiring ceremony, and not to mention long. Her friends from school were there. And to say they were surprised and sympathetic was an understatement. One of them even had the nerve to comment saying that Madhan was fat and ugly, and her other friends had to shush her up. 

   But she wouldn't. She further continued asking Riya why she would choose HIM instead of Aakash, and she wasn't soft either. 

   Riya's mother heard the conversation. She sensed danger, and immediately intervened, allotting miscellaneous jobs to her friends. Giving Riya a warning look, she resumed her work. Riya sighed. It was a close shave. But for how long can she keep up this act?