14| Caught Red-Handed

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." 

― Søren Kierkegaard

Chapter 14:

   It had been a week since they came to the US, and things seemed to be surprisingly looking up. Riya was quite touchy on the morning of her first day here, but after that she was being much nicer to him. In fact, nicer than she was on their first date.

   Every day in the morning, Madhan was always the first to rise. He never made coffee for her since she doesn't drink coffee. Instead, he would keep a cup of milk ready for her, whenever she woke up. And while he was reading the newspaper, she would make a small but delicious breakfast. 

   He was surprised that she could cook so well, despite her saying she didn't know how to cook. She insists that since HIS own cooking was horrible, he found hers tasty. But Madhan knew better. He was a Master Chef. That is why he is so fat.

   He would leave for work, and when he came back, Riya was either watching TV or reading a book. Then that evening, they would order from outside, and talk about their day.

   His marriage was one that was so different. Every single thing he did, he had to think twice, because he was so afraid it would break. He felt like their marriage was on a string, and one snap would chop it off.

   There was one thing he never failed to notice.

   And that was how Riya was sad all the time.

   Even though she was so much nicer to him, she seemed to be sad all the time.

   Madhan even questioned her about it, and she said it was because she missed her family. But he didn't think that was all. There had to be something else to it too. He was so sure of it, since Riya spoke to her parents twice a day, for two hours each. That should cheer her up a lot, shouldn't it?

   Riya looked at the clock. It was three o clock. About the same time she had first come from the US. She didn't know whether to be happy that she made it alive this week, or sad that she had many million weeks of this left.

   She wasn't happy, or blissful or sad. She was just normal. Neutral. She felt absolutely nothing. This wasn't how she wanted to feel. Now that she come to think of it, she really did want to fall in love with Madhan. This was her life after all. Like Aakash said, she had to find a way to move on. To get happiness. For herself. Not for anyone else.

   She did her job as a daughter very faithfully. Now it was her turn for happiness. But how would she get it, if she felt zero attraction for her husband? Maybe if he were slimmer, and pimple-free, she might actually feel something.

   That does make her appear shallow, but come on. Who was anyone to judge. She loved someone so deeply. It takes more than just sweetness to heal her heart. But she knew one thing for certain. She wasn't going to tell Madhan about Aakash. He would leave her instantly. And where would she go in this world?

   Riya took out her diary and wrote about what she felt just now. Feeling a bit better, she left it open on her desk and went to the closet to take out her swimsuit.

   After a light shower, she covered herself with a towel and headed for the swimming pool.

   Madhan had wrapped up his work for the day. He gathered up his belongings, bid Jack a good weekend and headed home.

   He was quite excited to share his news with Riya. He had just been promoted to Assistant Director, and that was why he was given an early break.