5| Police Precint

In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Chapter 5:

   The fatal day had come. The day she had to meet her future fiancee and husband.

   She knew she could say no to this guy, but for some reason, she just couldn't. She knew she would say "Okay" for this guy whether she liked him or not.

   Riya was an early riser. She woke up at five and did her yoga. It was a recent habit and a habit that had become so addicting. She showered, and helped her mom cut the vegetables. She still didn't know how to cook yet.

   Riya wondered when she would. It wasn't that she never tried. She did, but it was something that never came for her. Finally, she just gave up. But she wasn't sure what her future mother in law was going to think.

   The thought of marrying Madhan made her sick in the stomach. Hopefully, the feeling would go away once she actually meets the guy. But she wasn't hopeful. Being friends with someone is different than being married to him.

   It was eight thirty, and Riya took her wallet and bid her family goodbye. They all gave her loads of advice, but she paid no heed to it. Her father gave her a thousand rupees but told her that Madhan was most likely gonna pay for her.

   Riya drove her scooter, and parked it, in front of Cafe Coffee Day. She suggested this particular place since she and Aakash never used to hang out there. She didn't want sweet memories to haunt her when she was meeting Madhan. Hence, it was her who was going to make the call. She made that much clear to her mother, and the message was conveyed to the other party.

   She was ten minutes early, and sat comfortably in one of the chairs. A waiter approached her and asked her what she wanted. She told him that she was waiting for someone and she would order once he reaches there.

   The waiter left, and Riya was busy checking her phone. It was nine on the dot now, and there was still no sign of Madhan. Is he one of those guys who are always late, she asked herself, already disliking him for his so called punctuality.

   Half an hour later, she ordered for water. One hour later, she ordered a drink, and brownie. Riya was slowly feeling drowsy, and took a short nap. She woke up at around 11:45 and was still furious that there was no sign of him. Giving him maximum fifteen more minutes, she waited.

   Customers had kept entering and exiting, but no one appeared to look like him. Finally, at 11:55, she noticed a broad man enter the shop. He looked like Madhan but she wasn't so sure.

   The man kept walking towards her and finally stuck his hand out.

   "Hi. I'm Madhan Roy."

   Riya inspected his hands. How dare he act like nothing happened.

   "Riya." she replied, curtly. "What time were you supposed to be here? I was under the impression we were meeting for breakfast."

   "Er, nine. Look, I'm extremely sorry, it was jet-" he began.

   "I could have been informed," Riya said, fuming. "Do you know how long I've been waiting?"

   "We could do lunch now, instead of breakfast, " he said, rather awkwardly.

   "You might be the kind of person who can wait for HOURS to eat if you already made an appointment. But I'm not. I finished eating. You can eat whatever you want. And then we'll leave."