Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen - Old Habits Die Hard

- Madeline's POV - 

My heart was beating faster and faster as I rummaged through Haley's makeup. I sighed, pushing a few hairs behind my ears from my face. I looked like an exhausted mess. And frankly, I was exhausted. These past few days have been insane yet exciting all in the same time, but I think now it is taking its toll on me. That was not even the main reason that I was so jumpy and panicked as of right now. 

I remember the dream vividly. There was bed, dim lights, Egyptian cotton sheets, Martin. My stomach was churning at every thought that was coming through my head. A shiver ran down my body, especially through my spine. I tried to shake my thoughts off as I focused on putting myself together. 

I grabbed the tine tube of concealer and dabbed some along my baggy eyes as Haley had shown me. A part of me felt bad that I was using her makeup, because one, I know makeup can be expensive and two, if she runs out, there is nowhere she can go get some more. I swiped a few coats of the lengthing mascara on my lashes, still unsure if I was presentable. Oh well, people will get over it, I said to myself. 

Instead of wearing all of Haley's clothes today, I just grabbed a pair of her shorts and paired it with on my simple tops. Once I felt ready enough, I took one last look in the mirror, my stomach once again dropping. 

"Shit," I said, my eyes widening at the sight. Just below my ear, there was a small red, purple tinted circle. I brought my index finger up to touch the mark, it stinging with sensitivity. Damn you Martin. I frowned to myself, trying to find anything that would cover it fully. Once again, I looked through Haley's bag, relocating the concealer. I dabbed it quickly on my neck, but for some odd reason, God had punished me for my behavior in these past two days. 

The door swung open in seconds, causing to me to jump and drop the tube onto the floor. "Crap! Sorry Madeline!" A voice rung. Why had I not locked the door when Haley left... As I bent down to grab the tube, the person had done the same. 

Wait a minute... pale, long fingers, blonde hair with pink tips. Great, I groaned to myself. Big-mouth-Brianna, as people call her. As much as I wanted to like her, I just could not. Haley has told me one too many stories about her and the mouth that cannot be shut. 

"It's okay," I said, smiling to her standing up from the ground. "I was ju -" 

Before I could finish my sentence, her uncomfortable stare bored into me. Her brows creased shamelessly. "What is that?" The words tumbled from her mouth. It took me a moment to register what she was questioning, then it hit me like a semi-truck. 

"Nothing!" I said loudly, turning around on my heels, hoping she would get the message and leave. Why was she here anyways? 

"Were you, making out with someone?!" She exclaimed, her intentions were now clear that her finger was pointed in the direction of my neck. My heart pounded as I stared at her in shock. Great, the absolute worst secret keeper in the world, has found out I have been doing something with someone. I might as well have got caught by Karlie.