Chapter 47

Chapter Forty Seven - Morning After 

- Madeline's POV - 

Light has managed to come through my closed eyes and has forced me to slightly flutter my eyes open. My vision is blurry and I immediately notice that my stomach hurts. When my vision clears a little, I recognize the room I'm in instantly. 

I glance down at my arm and I realize I am laying half of my body on Martin. Martin. Relief comes over me when that reality settles in. But then it hits me - what happened last night? Parts of it flashes in my mind, but the last thing I really remember was getting a drink from someone. 

I move my head up and off his chest, looking up towards him. Surprisingly, I meet his green eyes staring into mine. I notice dark circles under his eyes, worry filling them as well. 

His eyebrows furrow and he tilts his head down to the side, his eyes not leaving mine. "Are you okay?" he says lowly, almost in a whisper. 

I lay my head back down on his chest, feeling exhausted and fatigued, as well as nauseated. "I don't know," I mutter, noticing the bitter taste that resides in my mouth, "What exactly happened?" I add, my thumb rubbing up and down on his chest slowly. 

Suddenly, I feel him shift his body, laying in a more upright position. I follow his movements, feeling safe around him. He doesn't say anything at all, which makes me curious yet worried. With as much strength as I can muster, I lift my upper body up to look at him. 

"Martin, what happened?" I ask worriedly, seeing that his eyes carry apprehension. I can tell he is hesitating in his head on what to say. 

His eyes break away from me as he looks over my shoulder, "I think um, someone slipped something... in your drink last night," he says, his eyes lost, with some form of doubt and uncomfortableness. I furrow my eyebrows at him. 

"W-what?" I ask in disbelief, trying to push aside the nausea that I'm internally fighting. "I can't remember anything," I shake my head slightly, trying to figure out how this happened. 

"It's okay," he says and I feel one of his hands move from my waist to my lower back, his fingertips sending chills down my body. As I think it through, I become to feel overwhelmed. 

"Di-did s-something ha-happen? Did that happen-t-to me?" I stutter, my heart rate speeding up faster. Oh my god... did that happen? 

"No Mads, god no," he answers quickly his eyes studying my face. 

"But h-how am I he-here? What did you do?" I say, managing to get my composer back, however tears are threatening to fall from my tear-ducts. "You left me," my voice cracks as I suddenly remember that he wasn't there with me at all. 

"Mads, it's okay-"

"Why would you do that?" I interrupt him, quickly wiping away the tear that fell down my cheek. A look of frustration flashes across his face, but at the same time, it looks understanding.