Chapter 13

"Son Goku has won!" Mr. Alonsa screams to the microphone. "Despite his tiny body, he possesses unbelievable strength!" He turns his attention to Nam, who was getting back on his feet up on the stage. "Nam, after suffering a painful defeat, must truly be feeling ashamed! But he still displayed some excellent moves in that battle!"

The Buddhist, although saddened at the loss, still offered his congratulations to the young winner. He shook Goku's hand before departing to the back of the stage; he still needed to think of a way to save his people, even if he had lost.

Goku thanked the older male for the battle. He loved every second of it!

The mother in the back, moved away from the wall to see her son's defeated opponent. She couldn't help but feel that the match he lost was troubling him more than it should. Surely having the title wasn't that important was it? Perhaps it was nothing, but she just had to make sure.

Nam sat on one of the benches inside the building for the finalists. He had his head in his hands. Forgive me. He thought of the words over and over again, even whispering them a few times. It was his duty to ensure the safety of the villagers and he has failed them. The fear of returning without any money, food, and especially water was evident in his mind. They would all die, if he couldn't find a way to take care of them.

Gine peeked inside the building and she didn't see anyone but Nam inside. The others were all outside. She bit her lip as she saw the young man muttering to himself, he kept apologizing, never mentioning to who but it seems that whoever he apologized to was troubling him. She knew she shouldn't be intruding in this private moment however the sorrow in his voice was something she couldn't avoid. Slowly she glided over to the distressed man until she was right behind him.

Feeling a presence, Nam raised his head, not bothering to turn around. He shouldn't let anyone see him like this. It was unacceptable for anyone to see him like this.

She didn't know this and asks, "Why are you so sad?"

Her voice sounded curious and innocent, it didn't sound smug, rude, or mistrusting. She had an aura much like a child would. It was practically the same as her son's, but hers held years of guidance, experience, and something else he couldn't place. He shouldn't pull her into his problems, but it wasn't like him to lie either. "I am disappointed at my loss...your son fought well and deserved to go onto the semi finals."

Gine could tell there was something else bothering him. She knew it because he refuses to meet her eyes, he spoke as if thinking of his wording, and his body went on guarded mode.

Letting out a sigh, she clasped her hands behind her back and leaned forward "Disappointment and sadness isn't the same thing." Her eyes narrowed and she pouted at him.

"It isn't?" He asks slouching on the bench. Nam wanted alone time but he didn't want to seem rude and told her to leave.

Shaking her head, she waves her right index finger in a similar fashion. "Disappointment is the feeling of failure, but with hope around the corner. Sadness is the feeling of no hope."

Nam didn't bother to answer, in a way she was right. There was nearly no hope for his family and friends now. Death would be knocking his way to each of their doors soon.

Gine frowned at his lack of response. He seemed very put down and it bothered her how much someone could look so defeated. She wishes there was a way for her to make him smile, but it seems he didn't want to talk.

They stayed silent for another minute, one not knowing what to say and the other kept to his own thoughts. It seems like neither was about to speak but the silence was broken by Yamcha who came in calling for Gine. "Hey Gine the announcer guy is looking for you!"