Chapter 8, Trial 5: Separation of the Duo

We were still walking down that dark, small, dirt road path.

We eventually came to another clearing like before, except there was a huge house in front of us now and a path to our right side instead of our left side.

"That must be our next trial. Come on!" I said to Piper as I grabbed her wrist and started running towards the house.

The house was very big. It was even bigger than the cottage and looked more like a mansion than anything.

When I got closer, I could tell that it was gray. It had four windows-two on the bottom of the house and two more that were above the bottom windows. They looked like they were on different floors.

Which I could only assume that it was another two story house.

"Oh boy. Another two story house. Let's just hope this one won't involve zombies this time, which I highly doubt." I thought as I now stood in front of the door with Piper next to me.

"Ready to go in?" I asked as I put my hand on the doorknob, and then gave her a quick glance as if asking if she was ready.

Piper nodded.

"Yes." She said.

I opened the door and held her hand.

Why?

Because it was completely dark in there. No light at all except from the windows.

"Wow...this one is even darker than the last house we were in." I said.

A cold breeze blew through me. I shivered.

"I agree. I'll try to find the light switch." Piper said, and then I heard her walk away from me.

While I was walking around, I noticed the lights still weren't on after a few minutes. I turned around to where I thought Piper was. She wasn't too far behind me.

"Couldn't find a light switch?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, no." She said.

I heard footsteps come towards me and then they stopped next to me. Piper.

"Just stay close to me." I said.

"Yeah. Let's stay close to each other." She said.

"I basically just said that."

"I know. Now come on. Let's see if our trial is somewhere in here." Piper said as she began walking away.

"Okay. We can check different rooms we come across." I said as I started to follow her.

"Yeah. I thought so too." Piper said.

While walking, Piper asked me a question:

"Hey Aaron, are you cold as well?"

"Kind of." I said.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that sometimes I'm cold and other times I'm not. It's almost like I'm walking through a cold spot. Other times it's like I'm being faced with a cold wind." I said.

"Me too. I wonder if this house has a really cold air conditioner." Piper said.

"Maybe, or these cold breezes and cold spots are because of something else." I thought as I looked around, almost as if I were trying to find whatever was causing these cold surges.

But I found nothing.

After about another minute of walking or so, we finally came across another hallway with rooms, but this time it had only four rooms with another one at the end of the hall.