twelve

𝔄𝔰 she reaches the set of stair that leads down to the Ball, she stands on the side as she watches as Hermione steps down the stairs

𝔄𝔰 she reaches the set of stair that leads down to the Ball, she stands on the side as she watches as Hermione steps down the stairs. She waits for Granger to reach the bottom, before she moves from the side to the centre of the stairs. All heads turn towards her, and she can even hear gasps.

Her eyes look around and she spots Draco, with Pansy by his side, but his eyes are on her. Elyse looks away, before looking ahead as she makes her way down the staircase, she feels a slight breeze on her leg, from the slit. Once she reaches the bottom, she slowly makes her way to where Cho and Cedric are standing.

"Talk about an entrance." Cho says teasingly, making Elyse roll her eyes. "Draco had his eyes on you the whole time. I'm pretty sure I saw steam escape Pansy's ears."

"Wouldn't want her to explode." Elyse snickers, making the two chuckle at her comment.

"Hey, Elyse. You look great!" She turns around, and smiles gratefully at George Weasley as he passes her.

"Well, you have all the attention. I'm a little jealous." Cedric says jokingly, making her roll her eyes. Cho and him seem to notice something behind her, causing their demeanour to change. "Cho and I are going to go talk to the other champions."

"Alright. Have fun." She smiles as they walk away in the direction of Harry Potter and his date, Parvati Patil.

"You look beautiful." She stiffens at the sound of his voice, before she turns around and looks into his icy eyes. Her heart rate increases as she is unsure what to do or say. "I'm guessing the snake is curtesy of your mother."

"Yeah. She thought it would be fitting, since I was going to go... with you." She clears her throat awkwardly, making Draco shift nervously. "So, you came with Pansy?"

"Yeah."

"Cool. She doesn't seem happy you're here talking to me." Elyse muses as she glances over his shoulder, making him force a smile.

"Nothing new then." He says jokingly, making her chuckle and nod in agreement as she looks back at him.

"Uh, I should go then. Enjoy your night." Elyse hums and she is about to walk away, but his cold hand wraps around her wrist. He stops her from going, making her turn to face him again.

"Ely, please can we talk?" He asks softly, making her look at him sadly.

"I don't think this is the right-"

"Please." He says desperately, making her sigh and nod. She doesn't expect the next move, as his hand slides down into her own and he leads her to the dance floor. He spins her into his arm, making her gasp as he holds up their interlocked hands and puts his other hand on her lower back, his thumb rubbing against her bare skin. Chills run down her body as she puts her hand on his shoulder and he pulls her closer to him.

"Draco, I agreed to talking. Not dancing." She breaths out, feeling out of breath from the shock.

"I know." He hums as they dance with the other couples on the dance floor. "You have no idea how, sorry I am, Ely. I had no right to say what I said."

"No. You didn't." She agrees, as he picks her up and spins her around, similarly to others. He slowly puts her back down, pulling her closer to him.

"No excuse in the world, will excuse what I did. But I at least must be honest with you." He says, before spinning her out and back into his arms. "I realised something recently. And I was scared. Terrified even. I thought the best way to do deal with it, was pushing you away and when the occasion presented itself to do that, I took it. I didn't consider the fact that it would hurt you."

"What did you realise?" She asks, while they spin around the other couples.

"That I'm madly in love with you." He admits, making her gasp as he lets go of her and takes a step back, lining up with the other boys to stay in choreography. Fortunately she was already lined up with the girls, because she was too shocked to move. She regains her senses as both lines take a step forward and each dance partner walks around each other. Draco pulls her back into his arms, and they continue to follow the choreography.

"Draco. Why didn't you just say so?" She asks softly, making him sigh as he doesn't dare to meet her eyes.

"I didn't want to risk loosing you. Except I'm an idiot and did loose you." He says, making her smile as she hums in agreement.

"You're an idiot. I agree. But... an idiot I'm in love with." She says, making him look at her slightly shocked, before he smiles happily. His hand moves up her back, before he dips her back, just as the song ends. He slowly brings her back up and she wraps her arms around his neck, their noses barely touching.

"Will you still come with me to Hogsmead?" He asks, making her smile and nod. A grin forms on his lips, before they pull away and bow to signal them ending their dance. He takes her hand, before leading her off the dance floor. "Before I forget. You're not a disgrace. I'm certain you're the most amazing person I know and you should be proud of yourself, no matter what."

"Thank you, Draco." She smiles, before kissing him on the check. He smiles softly at her.

"Come on, let's get out of here."