seven

"ℌ𝔢𝔶, Elyse! Could I talk to you?" She looks up and does a double take as Cedric Diggory makes his way towards her

"ℌ𝔢𝔶, Elyse! Could I talk to you?" She looks up and does a double take as Cedric Diggory makes his way towards her. She hadn't expected him to talk to her and really hoped he wasn't about to ask her to Yule Ball, like she had heard her classmates say.

"Hi. Sure what can I do for you?" She hums and notices Luna from across the room, who gives a her questioning look. Elyse looks back up at Cedric as he stops right in front of her.

"I was actually wondering if you wanted to go to the Yule Ball, with me." He says nervously, making her wince internally. Her fears had become a reality. She could already imagine Draco laughing at her situation.

"Wow. I'm flattered." She breaths out, making him chuckle softly as he looks at her in anticipation. She wasn't sure how to approach this and didn't want to come off as harsh or rude. "I really appreciate you thinking about me, but I'm going to have to decline. I'm sorry."

"Oh. Okay. Right, you're probably going with Malfoy." He says, making her frown. Once again people assumed she was going with her best friend.

"Actually. I'm not. It's just, I'm sure you're a great guy, Cedric. But I don't think we'd get along." She admits, making him sigh in understanding. He looks down, seeming a little saddened.

"Yeah. My friends told me the same. I appreciate your honesty." He says as he looks back up, making her smile softly.

"I wish you the best for the task tomorrow." She says, making him nod, before he leaves. Luna watches as he walks away, before rushing to Elyse's side.

"What was that?" Luna asks, slightly shocked and intrigued to have seen Cedric talk to Elyse. She simply shrugs at her question. "Don't shrug at me. What did he want?"

"He asked me to go to the Yule Ball." Elyse says nonchalantly, making Luna gape at her in shock. It would have been an undeniably interesting match to have Elyse accompany Cedric to the Ball. Most people would say opposites attract, the two were way too different, while he was warm, kind and selfless, she was a lot more selfish, arrogant even.

"No way. What did you say?" Luna asks, her eyes wider than ever.

"No. Obviously."

"Would have been interesting. I mean you still don't have a date, to be honest. Why have you not accepted anyone from the long list of people who asked you?" Luna asks, making Elyse sigh as she feels like she won't be able to hide it from her much longer.

"Because they're not the one who I want to go with." She says honestly, making Luna smirk as she realises what she means.

"Of course. It makes absolute sense! Of course you can't spent 16 years of your life with him and not have a crush on him." Luna giggles, causing Elyse to glare at her playfully. "Why did you not tell me before?"

"Because you already suspected it.  And I was too afraid to admit it." Elyse says, and Luna can't help but squeal in excitement.

"This is so exciting! I can't wait for the Amortentia class." Luna hums, making Elyse turn pale as she realises the implications of that class.

"Luna. He is in that class with me. He'll ask me what I smell." Elyse says as she starts to panic, making Luna wince at the thought. It certainly would make things awkward if Draco were to find out that way.

"You could try and lie?" Luna suggests, making Elyse give her a look. Everyone knew that she was a terrible liar, and for Draco, who has known her for his whole life, it was easy to spot a lie.

"Please remember who you're talking about. I can't lie to save my life." Elyse huffs in defeat.

"Maybe just tell him."

"Luna. It's Draco Malfoy, I don't think he has the emotional capacity to fall in love." Elyse whines, making Luna smile sadly at her.

graphic: @CarKann