Chapter 22 (Pt. 2)

Playlist - Euphoria by BTS

Ares

The crowd parted, and I coasted through them. I spotted Chase talking with Jack, the person who administered the races currently. We were still new to this business and the best way to ensure our longevity and success was to keep the right people by our side. 

“About time you made it.” Chase’ eyes snapped to mine, ending his conversation with Jack. “I was beginning to think that you might have forgotten your way.” 

“I made it, didn't I?” I turned my attention to Jack. “When are they going to fucking race?” I asked him. 

“There’s still time. I'm waiting for some reputed guys to arrive. They bring the crowd and money,” Jack answered. 

A tense Jeffrey swaggered over as fast as his feet would allow him. Jeffrey was another of our guys. He was damn good in keeping the violence which usually erupted in the races at bay. 

“We have a problem.” His voice dripped in worry. “I don't know how, but Vipers are here.” 

“Who the fuck are they?” Chase rolled his eyes. Jeffrey had a tendency to stress on every minute detail. 

“I called them,” Jack said. “They bring in the money and crowd," he explained.

“Have you completely lost your mind?” Jeffrey growled, his strong shoulders tense. “They’ve the most violent track record.” He turned to face both me and Chase. “There isn't enough security to handle them.” 

“Chase, let my crew handle this. I know what I'm doing. Don't listen to Jeff. He fuses over everything.” Jeffrey didn’t crack a smile like he normally did whenever Jack dismissed his concerns. 

“Fine. Go.” 

Jack raced over to the track and an irked Jeffrey followed him. Sometimes, I wondered whether they were boyfriends or bickering brothers. 

My eyes drifted to the side of the track where I had left Luna, with my car. I spotted her bright head, and I tensed up when I saw her talking to Axel. I turned my head, getting aggravated. I had specifically asked Axel to not show his face around Luna, at least for tonight. 

“You look distracted. It doesn't have anything to do with your little toy, does it?” I heard Chase’ voice.

I darted my eyes back to him. His blond hair laid haphazardly over his forehead, while his blue eyes narrowed at me. 

“I'm not distracted.” My face fell back into position. “I have a few things on my mind.” 

“Care to enlighten me?” He crossed his arms, appearing smug about his observation. 

“No,” I replied. 

A thick silence filled the air around us. I broke it all too soon. “I won't be staying for tonight's race. I'm going to take her someplace else.” 

A sardonic smile played on Chase’ mouth. It insinuated as if he was waiting for me to tell him about my change of plans. 

“Alright.” He nodded his head very calmly. “But have you decided what you would like to do?” 

“What do you mean?” I damn well knew what he meant. I was trying to evade answering that particular question for as long as I could. 

“Stop acting like a fuck. What are you doing with her?” He spoke in a low tone which made him sound dangerous, even to me.  “Is she your plaything? For your personal enjoyment? That's all she is to you?” His jaw ticked. “You’re wasting everyone's time over here, Ares. This cannot go on for very long. You're attaching feelings to her.”