Chapter 21 (Pt.2)

Playlist - It's Nice To Have A Friend by Taylor Swift.

Ares

In an effort to minimize my presence, I dressed down and walked to the back of the church’s sanctuary. The Henry family had been well respected members of the community, and the church was overflowing with mourners.

I recognized some of them as Mia’s classmates and rest were family and friends. I spotted my parents, Evelyn and Silas Torrance settled on the second pew, and Charlotte on a pew behind them.

I had never been to a funeral with so many people in attendance. This looked more like get together. Chase was a bundle of nerves at the ceremony. All the color on his face had vanished. He looked paler than usual.

The severity of Mia’s death was looming in his brain, and he was supposed to deliver an eulogy as well. God, fuck me. I certainly didn't want my friend to have a mental breakdown in front of hundreds of people.

“In the back?” Axel’s voice pulled both of us from our train of thoughts. “Trying to merge in crowd won't help.”

“Shut up,” I said, angrily. “Where had you disappeared the past few days? Whoring around as usual…” I left my sentences unfinished.

“Stop being a duck and scoot, make some place for me.” He then settled in between me and Chase.

Later I spotted Luna’s Aunt Lucille walk inside the church. She was dressed in a modest black pantsuit. She sat beside Mia’s mother.

My eyes were glued at them. The two held onto each others hand, giving moral support. It was a hard time for Lucille as well. I knew she loved Mia as much as she loved Luna.

But, that's not what captivated my brain, it was the man sitting right behind them. He remained steadfast to the events happening in front of him. His stoic veneer fascinated me.

The service started, eulogies were said, but the only time I saw the change in his expression was when Chase became visible to his peripheral vision. Contempt was written on his face during Chase’s eulogy.

The preacher spoke, countless people gave their condolences, but the only thing in mind was- who was that man? He must be a close with either of the Henries or else he wouldn't have been invited.

Could he be Mia’s father? Yeah, that's one possibility.  From what I've heard, her father lives his life in Italy, and couldn't afford his next meal ticket then how could this man, undoubtedly wearing a tailored armani suit be her father?

I pondered on the thought, until Axel nudged me forward. We went to Chase’s side and offered our condolences to the family.

After the service concluded, the casket was wheeled down the center aisle followed by the family. The church was a murmur of whispers as organ music played from somewhere above.

Many came and offered Chase their condolences. He nodded and said a few words to them. Just then, the man, from the second pew, walked towards our direction. Axel and Chase were oblivious to him--just another mourner, but when he seized Chase’s hand in his, a wave passed in the atmosphere.

“Savio Carter.” He introduced himself. “It's a shame--we meet on such a dreadful day. But, atlas I crossed your path. I'm so sorry about your sister. Gem. She was a gem.

"Thank-you. I'm sure Mia would've loved your presence at her funeral.” Chase spoke his practiced line.

“I hope next time we meet.” He paused, allowing me to read his face. “It's not a funeral.”

“Excuse me?” I asked, incredulously. “How do you know Mia Henry and her family.”

“I wasn’t talking to you, son.”

“Now you are.” I spoke more firmly.

Savio Carter offered me a tight smile. “My apologies. I have to be somewhere else.” He turned one last time before leaving. “And Chase, take care.”

He then disappeared in the crowd. I had resolved that Savio Carter path would cross ours again. He wasn't a mystery anymore. He was Mia’s father and out for vengeance.

He can try, but will not succeed.

                                    ***

Mindlessly, the pad of my thumb ran laps around the smooth rim of the crystal tumbler. No, I  wasn’t thinking about the glass in my hand or even about the events of last week.

No, my thoughts were centered on a particular bedridden beauty. I could observe her condition from my view. After few convincing chats with Lucille, I had finally made her trust me enough to let me look after her niece who was currently passed out.

It was about time she woke up yet there was next to none improvement in her state. I was completely helpless. I couldn't influence her life and it frustrated me like hell.

I went towards bed and absently stroked her arm. The bruises on the face had become more prominent than it used to be same followed on her arms.

Sometime after 4:00 AM, I'd  fallen asleep with my head on the side of Luna’ bed and my hand over her arm. It was still dark outside.

I hoped to see some improvement in her, but there was nothing. Once, late last night, I had lifted one of her eyelids to try to see the blue-green color, but I couldn’t.  All I saw was white, and it was full of red. The other lid I didn’t dare touch. It was swollen and dark, as was the area surrounding it.

“Baby, open your eyes. I'm desperate to hear you utter my name.” I kissed her lips softly.

Like in the movies, I secretly wished to hear… anything from her or even a mild move of her fingers, but nothing.

The same happened the next day and the days followed by it. Watching me spend the nights in the hospital looking out for Luna melted her aunt’s heart.

“You really care for my niece, don't you?”

The only way to answer was to nod at the words. Absently,  I have started to care for this girl. Don't know why, but I do now. 

Lucille demanded me to take the night off from the duty and to go back home to take some much needed rest. I didn't argue, but curious part of wondered if Luna was stable again or not.

As a result, I stayed up the entire night and slept through the mid-afternoon. The next time I opened my eyes, it was 3:40 PM. I checked my phone to a floodgate of calls and texts. One of them had me on my fucking knees.

Luna is awake