Chapter Forty-Five

That week at school, leading up to Guy Fawkes Night on the 5th of November, I could tell that Dylan was more at ease. He seemed calmer and more confident with our relationship. I never noticed how tense and anxious he had been before, but compared to the way he was now I could see how much Jayme had bothered him.

I liked knowing he trusted me. Having him talk to me about his past and Jayme wasn’t easy, and that made it mean so much more. I had brought us closer together. Not only did I trust him, but I know knew that he trusted me, and that was both intense and intimate.

 My relationship with Dylan at school brought me no anxiety or self-consciousness; it wasn’t secret, but it was privet. We had found balance which was comfortable for me, and in turn, Dylan. I’d never been a fan of personal displays of affection, and despite Dylan’s taunting and teasing; there were no more theatrical displays of intimacy in the hallways.

As I expected, Thursday was absolutely freezing; it always it on Guy Fawkes Night. I never really understood why people wanted to stand in the freezing cold around a bonfire, watching a fireworks display that commemorated a man that tried to blow up parliament and failed.

Dylan was picking me up at eight and we were making our way to a field just outside of town where there was going to be a big bonfire and fireworks display. I wrapped up warm; scarf, gloves , parka and boots and went to meet Dylan at the car when I heard him pull up outside the house. He was getting out of the car as I made my way towards him.

“In a hurry?” he asked.

“Mum’s home. If you go inside, we’ll be there for a while,” I replied, getting into the passenger side.

“Mum’s do like spending time with me,” he agreed, joining me in the car

“Well, she’ll have to get in line,” I said, leaning in a giving him a kiss. Dylan leaned forward as I pulled away, dragging the kiss out for another few seconds. He smiled at me and started the car.

Kissing Dylan was instinct now. It involved no thinking or planning; it was one of the few actions I allowed to be impulsive and spontaneous, and Dylan appeared to be on the same page. I could tell he no longer thought about how affectionate he could be around me. Before, he was always cautious and slightly hesitant; not wanting to push my boundaries and move too quickly, but he had now realised that it didn’t bother me anymore. We had a synchronised understanding that involved a lot less thinking and a lot more doing.

Dylan found a parking spot in the make-shift car park that was an adjacent field to the one that was filled by a few hundred people. We got out of the car and Dylan pulled a hat onto his head and walked round the car to take my hand.

“I didn’t take you for a hat guy,” I said as we made our way over to the west side of the bonfire where Sam had texted me and told me where they were.

“What made you think that?”

I made a vague gesture at his head. “All the hair.”

Dylan laughed and steered me around a group of people. “You do have a point. But I’ll sacrifice the scruffy hair for a warm head any day. Not to mention, I know I rock the hat.”

“That you do,” I agreed as we approached our friends.

They had gotten together a bunch of deck chairs and blankets, along with a picnic blanket.

We said hi to everyone and took a seat on the picnic blanket next to Cam and Matt, who were playing cards. You really couldn’t take those too anywhere.

I pulled a face at their card playing and Elle caught my eye. She was sat on one of the deck chairs wrapped in a blanket and laughed.

“I know. You’d think he was Cam’s boyfriend instead of mine,” she said, nodding to Matt.