Chapter Thirty-Seven

I was on such a high from dinner at the weekend that when Savannah came up to me during school on Wednesday at the end of lunch it didn’t turn my dad to complete and utter shit. Life had been going to well lately to let her ruin my mood, at least that’s what I told myself.

I was putting books into my locker when she walked up and leaned against the other lockers.

“Hey, Alec. How’s it going?”

“Hey Savannah, things are good. You?”

“Better now I’m talking to you.”

Really?

“Huh, okay. What do you want?”

“Well,” she said, stepping closer, “I was wondering if you maybe wanted to go out sometime, just you and me?”

“Jeez, Savannah. Thanks for the offer, but I’m really not in the mood right now.”

“Alec, come on, just for old times sake. I know things didn’t work out to begin with, but we can try again.”

“Savannah, we broke up cause you were cheating on me with Bobby.”

“That was a huge mistake, and I’m sorry for doing that. But since you’ve been single for a while now what wrong with a little fun?”

And that is when I realised the big problem. Everyone thought I was single. I’ll admit, when school started a lot more girls had been talking to me but I just ignored them because I wasn’t interested. With Savannah, I realised that of course she’ll keep flirting with while I was single. But I wasn’t single. I had a boyfriend.

“The truth is, Savannah, I’m seeing someone right now.”

She laughed. “Really Alec? Everyone knows you haven’t been with anyone since Kelly. But I’ll play along, who?”

“It’s none of your business.”

“That’s the best excuse you could come up with?”

I sighed and looked around, and realised that Dylan was stood across the hall with Sally. Sally looked like she was trying to glare Savannah to death, whereas Dylan was looking quite amused.

He took out his phone and a moment later I received a text.

“Hold on a minute,” I said to Savannah who was in the middle of telling me what she had that other girls didn’t blah blah blah.

You can tell her if you want to, I don’t mind xx

I realised that now was the perfect opportunity to tell everyone about Dylan. To begin with, if I had told everyone that I had a boyfriend, I would have never had said who, since it wasn’t fully public knowledge that Dylan was gay. But now, with Dylan saying I could tell his secret, it was purely my choice whether I wanted everyone to know.

“Alec, are you even listening to me? If I didn’t already like you, I’d think you were a huge jerk. So come on, who’s your mystery girlfriend?”

“Boyfriend.”

“What?”

“Not girlfriend, boyfriend.”

Savannah looked at me, eyebrows high and pink lipgloss covered lips slightly parted. I wanted to celebrate; not many people could make Savannah Hale speechless.

“So wait... you’re trying to tell me that you’re now gay?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say gay... but yeah, I’m dating a guy.”

“Who?”

“Dylan,” I said, pointing at him. She turned and stared, and he gave her a small wave.

“Are you shitting with me right now?”

“Nope.”

“But... how... what the fuck Alec?”

“It was lovely having this chat, but I’ve got a class to catch, see ya around.”

And then I did what could possibly be the scariest, most nerve-racking thing I have ever done. I took Dylan’s hand in mine and went to class.

~

During double English I tried to stay calm, focus on my work and not freak out. It’s fair to say I’d been doing well so far.

I can’t believe I told Savannah about Dylan. I knew by the end of the day the whole school would know, and I was seriously shitting myself, but at the same time I felt so much better. Everyone stared at us as Dylan and I walk away from Savannah hand in hand, but did I give a shit? Nope. The look on Dylan’s face when I took his hand was enough to reassure me that it was the right thing to do.

After school a lot of people stared. I kept walking. I don’t think anyone was stupid enough to start something, especially when Sam met me in the hall and swung his arm over my shoulders.

“Why hello, Mr I-have-a-boyfriend.”
“Shut up, dude,” I said, but I could stop the smile from spreading over my face.

“Has anyone gave you any bother?”
“Not yet, but someone is bound to say something at some point.”

“And they’ll regret it when they do.”

When we made it to the car pack – because my friends are a bunch of weirdos- everybody cheered and Sam went to get his car since it was parked at the other side of the school.

“Really guys?” I asked as Cam gave me a high-five.

“One question,” said Matt. “Did you take a picture of Savannah’s face?”

“No he didn’t,” said Dylan, who took Sam’s spot and swung his arm over my shoulders. “But it was hilarious.”

I looked up at Dylan who kissed me on the head just as Sam arrived with his car.

“You okay?” he asked.

“I’m good,” I replied, still smiling.

I said goodbye to everyone and got into Sam’s car.

“Are we picking Luke up?”

“No, he’s going to Nathan’s.”

“Sorted then.”

When we pulled up outside my house, Sam spoke.

“You know, I’m happy for you man. Screw the haters. If you ever want to talk, you know I’m here right?”

“Yeah, thanks Sam.”

“No bother, just don’t tell me if-“

“-if he shoves his dick up my ass? Noted.”

Sam laughed and gave me a fist bump before I got out of the car and made my way inside.

I just told the school I had a boyfriend. Oh my God. Guess I liked Dylan a whole lot more than I thought I did.