Chapter Fifteen

I woke the next morning to find the room empty and the sun peering through a crack in the curtains. I quickly got dressed in a pair of shorts and a t shirt and headed into the kitchen where Sam, Matt, Dylan and Elle were sat at the breakfast bar eating cereal. Sam had been smart and brought some basic food supplies with him, along with a cooler of barbecue food for tonight, so we had enough to keep us going until tomorrow. I got myself a bowl of cereal and joined them.

“Hey,” said Dylan and Matt as I sat down between them. I said hey to everyone and ate my cereal, listening to the conversation that they were in the middle of.

“So,” continued Sam, “today is, as the forecast said, a really warm day. A last farewell to summer I guess. So the lake and barbecue are a go.”

That earned cheers from everyone as Cam walked in.

“Lake is a go?” he asked.

“Yeah, we’ve just to go make sure Sally and Mitch are up.” At that everyone turned to look at Dylan, who froze with his spoon half way to his mouth. He looked round the table and ended with giving me a questioning look.

“Why do I have to go wake them up?”

“Because,” I said, trying not to smile like a goofball at the innocent expression on his face, “you’ve known them the longest. And I think Mitch is less likely to hate you than one of us if we interrupt something.”

Everyone proceeded to nod in agreement.  Dylan sighed before standing up and going to wake Mitch and Sally. On the way past, I felt his hand trail along my lower back, my skin prickling in response to his touch. I watched him walk out of the room before returning to my cereal. When I glanced up I saw Sam smiling at me.

“What?” I asked with a mouth full of cereal.

He held up his hands, shaking his head. “Nothing.”

He is really starting to creep me out.

Luckily for Dylan he didn’t walk in on anything more than a PG rating and by eleven o’clock everyone was ready to head to the lake.

The lake itself wasn’t big. You could walk round it in about three hours, and you can clearly see right across it to the other side.  It was partly man-made, with sandy shores to give it a beach feel. There were only four or five other cabins around the lake, Sam knew the owners and none of them were staying there during October break, so we had the lake to ourselves.

By one o’clock the sun was out and Mitch, Sam, Dylan and Cam were jumping around playing a game of Frisbee while I sunbathed next to Matt, Elle and Sally. I was lying on my stomach next to Sally, both of us watching the others jump around like idiots and tackle each other to the ground.  We both had our sunglasses on, protecting us from the spray of sand whenever the Frisbee landed too close. They really just hid my eyes and allowed me to watch a shirtless Dylan run around in the sand without anyone noticing. Praise the man who invented sunglasses.

“Have you spoke to Kelly since she kicked you in balls?” asked Sally.

“Nope, and I don’t really plan on it. As long as she stays away from me, things are good.”

She nodded in agreement before continuing. “So how are things on the relationship front?”

“Okay I guess. Being single isn’t actually that bad. How long have you and Mitch been dating?”

“Two years.” I whistled in response. “I know right? You’d think you would eventually get bored, or have a fight and break up or something, but somehow we’re still here.”

“Two years with Mitch? I feel like applauding you.” She laughed and slapped me on the arm.

“He’s not that bad. Things are never boring, and I can’t stay mad at him because he just makes me laugh all the time. And I mean all the time, even when it definitely isn’t appropriate to laugh.”