Chapter Fourteen

I was all packed and ready to go when Dylan picked me up at ten the next morning.  I said goodbye to my mum, loaded my bags into the car and sat in the passenger seat next to Dylan, with Mitch and Sally sat in the back.

It wasn’t long before I got to experience a typical car journey with Mitch. When he requested a CD, no one even questioned him as he leaned forward and put the disk in. However, we soon realised that all of Mitch’s actions should be questioned when ABBA’s ‘Dancing Queen’ filled the car and Mitch decided to sing along. The journey was filled with Mitch singing every one of ABBA’s greatest hits and Dylan gave me a look that could only mean ‘I told you so’ as we continued down the motor way.

By the time Dylan reached the turn off that Sam had gave him directions to I genuinely was contemplating walking. We followed the dirt track down into the forest, and soon we were surrounded by wilderness. The dirt track took us around the lake; glimpses of the water could be seen through the trees as we approached the cabin. The cabin itself was completely made of wood, situated in a small clearing with the lake slightly visible through the trees if you look hard enough.

We pulled up next to Sam’s car- they had beat us there- and Mitch wined when the music cut out along with the engine. This earned him a laugh from us all, which Sally proceeded to give him a kiss, which turned into a make-out session that was Dylan and I’s cue to vacate the car.

“’Bout time you guys got here,” called Sam from the decking. He motioned for us to come in and Dylan and I made our way up the steps- leaving our bags and Sally and Mitch in the car. The cabin was just how I remembered it; the entrance was sliding patio doors that went straight into the open planned living/kitchen/dining area. 

Cam and Matt were in the kitchen, trying to fit all the beer they brought into the fridge. Elle was sat on one of the high stools at the breakfast bar watching the boys in amusement while trying to sort through the bunch of take out menus that we had accumulated over the years. I sat in the chair next to her as she burst out laughing when all the beer cans came rolling out of the fridge and onto Cam’s feet.

“Shit- Matt! You could have bloody stopped them!”

Matt held up his hands in surrender. “Man, I told you it wouldn’t work trying to stack them sideways!”

“Hey,” said Elle, turning away from the bickering on the other side of the breakfast bar.

“Hey, so what’s the verdict?” I asked, pointing to the menus.

“Well, we have a choice of pizza, pizza, or pizza.”

“I think pizza sounds like the best option.”

“Good, I wasn’t too keen on the other two options.”

I smiled in response. Luckily for him, Matt had fell in love with one of the few girls in our school who wasn’t a bitch and who you could actually have a conversation with. I was happy that Sally was here for Elle’s sake, as I know having to hang around us guys all the time must get on her nerves.

“Where’s Mitch and Sally?” she asked.

“Still sucking face in the back seat of the car,” called Dylan as he and Sam came in carrying all of our bags. Dylan held up finger, signalling for us to wait a moment while he headed back outside.  He returned a few minutes later followed by a flustered looking Mitch with lipstick smeared across his face and a slightly embarrassed looking Sally. Sally squealed and ran over to give Elle a hug while Mitch was asking Dylan ‘do you really think I- a charming, sensible young man- would do something like that in your car?’ Dylan replied with a simple ‘yes’.

“Right everyone, rooming situation,” said Sam, standing in the middle of the living area. “Mitch and Sally, and Matt and Elle, you both have your own room on the agreement that moans and banging are kept to a minimum.”  Dylan wolf whistled at Mitch while Cam proceeded to make a comment at Matt which earned him a slap on the back of the head.