Chapter Forty-Three

Sam went overboard with the Halloween decorations as expected. One thing you could always rely on with Sam, he knew how to throw a party. We set up fake gravestones in the front garden, and pumpkins going up either side of the driveway. The doorways were covered with ripped cloth that you had to move aside to enter, and each room was decorated with pumpkins and creepy statues. The food was, of course, Halloween themed and there was a cauldron filled with some kind of alcoholic drink that probably tasted awful.

An hour before the party was due to start we got changed into our costumes; Sam was dressing up as the Hulk, basically so he could show off his abs by only wearing shorts and green paint, and I was being your usual cliché- a vampire. I put on my black jeans and white shirt, rolling up the sleeves, and finished off the look with a cape, fake fangs, a little bit of blood round the mouth and I was good to go.

Matt and Cam were first to arrive; Cam had decided to be a zombie, and Matt had used his red hair as an asset and chose to be a devil.

“Dude, the Hulk?” asked Cam as they both entered.

“Why not?”

“It’s Halloween.”

“At least the Hulk is kind of scary, how many girls do you wanna bet come dressed as a fairy or rabbit?”

“Okay,” replied Cam, holding his hands up in surrender, “you have a point.”

By seven o’clock people started to show up and Sam was right, there were a lot of rabbit and fairy costumes.  Dylan, Mitch and Sally showed up at half seven and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“You got roped into matching costumes?” I asked.

“Sally’s idea,” said Mitch, glaring at me.

“Hey! At least they are scary,” complained Sally. She was right; both her and Mitch were wearing doctors costumes, well, Sally’s was more of a sexy nurse and Mitch a psychopathic surgeon. They we both splattered with both, all over.

Dylan, on the other hand, was dressed as a ghoul. I nearly drooled. He’d re-dyed his hair so it was white to the root, and his face was painted white with dark eye-sockets  and hallowed out cheeks. He looked hot.

“You own white trousers?” I asked him, raising my eyebrows. He laughed and slung his arm over my shoulders, steering us towards the drinks table.

“I do. They really stand out in my wardrobe amongst all the black.”

I laughed and poured us both a drink, handing one to him.

“You, however, are the most tanned vampire I’ve ever seen.”

“No way was I painting my face white, Sam’s used enough face paint for the both of us.”

And sure enough, Sam easily recognisable as a walking piece of broccoli.

We both took a drink and simultaneously pulled our faces, and I stared coughing.

“Jesus, what the hell is this?” asked Dylan, cautiously taking another sip.

“Fuck knows, but I watched Sam make it and I couldn’t keep count off all the things he put in it.”

We went back over to join Mitch and Sally, and spent a while chatting and dancing. The house stared to fill up with more and more people, and it became warmer.

“I’m going out for some air,” I said to Dylan, weaving my way through the crowd towards the back door.

It was quiet outside, too cold to be out here for long. I folded my arms and sat down on the steps of the decking. I’d took my cape off earlier on and had stupidly allowed Sally to squirt me with more fake blood, since I apparently didn’t look ‘deadly’ enough, in her words.