Part Seventy Six

Chapter Seventy Six

Martha laughed as Ethan fell in the shallow surf. He was chasing Evie through the gentle waves and they kept tripping and splashing each other. It made her so happy to see him having so much fun. She was staying with Jack and Mike had arrived the previous day. They had a large villa just a mile from the beach, and she had the “granny flat” in their basement, so she had time to herself, which at night was helpful as she didn’t sleep. So she could watch TV into the early hours, or pace the room, make hot milk...all the things she hoped would encourage sleep without fear of disturbing anyone else.

Ethan on the contrary was relaxed, happy and glowing. He loved the sun, the sea, the pool, the beach, it was one big dream come true to him. Freedom, attention and happiness. She’d brought Evie with them to the beach as the two men had things to do, Mike was buying more property on the island and was organising something to do with that in the capital, Jack was glad to go with him, he wouldn’t have if Martha hadn’t been there to have Evie. Sitting on a picnic rug a few feet from the shore, she had nothing more taxing to do than watch the millpond azure sea meeting the endless sky. Considering it was early February she’d been told this was exceptionally good weather, and they were determined to make the most of it.

Home, the farm, her family and Sonny were problems in hundreds of miles away, but whilst she’d got physical distance from them, emotionally was a different matter. Her mind constantly churned from her father and Stephanie, her mother, and of course Sonny. All she wanted was calm, serenity, peace...for one night, but the calmer things were, the more room in her brain there was for her problems to come back and haunt her.

                “I can’t believe you’ve FINALLY brought me out for dinner!”

Sonny looked up from his menu and grimaced at Jade. She’d seen him walking in to the local Indian restaurant and skipped in alongside him.

                “I haven’t brought you out for dinner. You are deluded. I am here having something to eat...and you have literally plonked yourself opposite me. This is NOT a date. This is nothing. Do you get that? If it was quieter in here I’d throw you own personally. But I have no intention of making a scene.” Martha would hate that.

She leaned back in her seat and grinned, “whatevs.”

Feeling her eyes still studying him, he picked up a menu and tossed it at her, “I am eating then going to play pool. I am not spending hours here...” Her eyes widened and he shook his head. “And NO you aren’t coming to the pool hall with me, before you even suggest it.”

He wasn’t in the mood to argue with her about anything, he wanted food, to catch a few games with some acquaintances, then maybe find oblivion in the bottom of a vodka bottle. That was his plan for the night. It was over a week since Martha had left and a week since he’d woken Michael up at well after midnight and cried.

Michael’s surprise at seeing Sonny on the doorstep was on a par with his own surprise at ending up there. But he’d invited him in, got him a drink and sat listening.

                “She’s run off, and I don’t know what to do. I can’t think.”

Michael sighed, “this is my fault. I started this...I feel responsible.”

He’d jumped to his feet and paced, but Sonny shook his head, “no. It was all too easy for me to give in to it all. I could have told you, the day you threatened...but I didn’t. I let you and Carl influence me. I needed to get over myself, and I couldn’t.”