Part Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

                “Can you open your mouth that much?” Martha asked as she placed a sandwich on the table in front of him and grinned, he looked a million times better than he had, and she finally felt she could tease him without feeling guilty.

Sonny rather elaborately tested his jaw then gave a smile, “think I’ll survive.”

                “Coffee?”

He nodded again as he tried to lower himself to one of the chairs, and it was only then that she realised how much pain he was still in. “And pain killers?”

Sonny laughed, “coffee’s great, I can sort the rest out...I’m not a complete invalid.”

Martha eyed him from across the kitchen, “you sure about that? I think I may log these days for future reference, never know when I may need to remind you of how nice I’ve been to you!”

Shaking his head he lifted the mug and tried a tentative sip, then grimaced, he was a long way from being fit, and when he was he’d been quicker with his retorts, today pan was overwhelming everything.

He couldn’t believe how tired he was, and he’d slept most of the last two days, which was annoying, because he wanted to sort out the men who’d jumped him. He’d made one grave mistake, he’d been more than angry when she’d rejected him, then there was the encounter in the morning. He’d stormed off, not waited and allowed clarity to guide his judgement. And walked straight into the lion’s den. All he’d wanted was to see if his suspicions were correct, that Oldbury was the one behind the damage to the farm, that this was all his work, and he’d got jumped. It had been day time, but he’d been attacked from behind, he couldn’t remember seeing a face, and he couldn’t remember how he got back to the farm. He was so angry with him own hot-headedness, he rarely made mistakes, and he was about to rectify that, as soon as he could breathe painlessly again.

                “What are you still doing here?”

He heard the snarl from behind, and turned to see Lucy stood there; the older woman had always treated him with scorn. She had the good grace to flinch when she saw the extent of his injuries. Martha had disappeared, leaving him alone, but he wasn’t about to shy away from her aunt.  

                “Lucy, what a pleasure to see you. Coffee?”

She huffed, “how dare you offer ME a coffee in MY own home?”

Smiling he lowered himself gingerly into a chair at the kitchen table, “so I take it that means you’re making? Great, I take it black.”

Scowling again she stormed towards the kettle, “typical of someone like you...take take take!”

He laughed as she made a pot of tea, mumbling under her breath.

                “For someone who’s normally so outspoken you ain’t half muttering away. It’s SO not like you to be quiet. You softening in my direction?”

                “You don’t want to know what I think of you, taking advantage of first Carl, he’s a soft touch, and now Martha. They may fall for your butter-wouldn’t-melt front, but I don’t!”

Sonny burst out laughing, “in my life I’ve been called many things, but never that. I’m not pretending to be anything other than I am...me. And I’m not asking for any favours. But on the other hand you are out of order. If Carl and Martha are good to me, then that’s because they are good people. Maybe I don’t deserve that, but on the other hand I’ve done nothing to offend you, so I don’t deserve your disdain.”