Part Forty

Chapter Forty

Lucy was great company, not that Sonny was surprised, she'd changed a lot over the last few months. After buying her a drink, she'd talked him into a game of cribbage, something he wasn't overly confident in. On the other hand, she was a shark, by the time she won the third consecutive game quite a crowd had gathered to see her demolish cocky over confident Sonny. Sitting back he shook his head, "you are too good!"

Lucy smiled, "can I have that in writing?"

Laughing he stood, "another?" He pointed to her glass and she nodded.

Returning with the drinks he sat opposite her, by now the crowd and dispersed. Taking a slug of his vodka he looked at the older woman, "you reckon they're ok?"

She nodded, "been a long time coming, they've both been creeping around what happened with Scott, hopefully now they'll get it out in the open. Be honest."

He sighed, and she looked up, "he won't want to hear it."

Lucy smiled, "life isn't all about the happy bits, neither are families."

Sonny pondered that for a moment, wondering if there were any happy bits at all from his family memories, none that he could remember, he HATED that it still bothered him. Lucy patted his hand and when he looked at her she smiled, "sometimes it's even harder than that."

With an awkward laugh, he reached for his drink, he wasn't about to be reduced to tears by this woman, here, in the pub.

"We going to risk heading back?"

When she nodded, he offered her an arm and they strolled back to the farmhouse.

Martha was in her usual place at the kitchen table when the two burst in to the house giggling. She looked up and laughed, "when did you two become best buddies?"

Sonny smiled, walking over to her, "her bark is worse than her bite. You ok?" He placed a hand on her shoulder, such a caring gesture that she had to take a deep breath.

She nodded, "yeah, good. Dad's just gone up to check on Ethan."

Lucy smiled, "well I'm glad he's got his head out of his arse at last!" They both laughed at that, then she announced it was way past her bedtime.

As they were left alone, Sonny still stood next to her, he nodded with his head, asking her to stand, "come here."

With a soft smile she stood, and his hand caressed her jaw as he pulled her lips to his. As kisses went it was chaste, neither wanted to be discovered, but it was also supportive, caring, understanding. That kiss caused a swell in her chest, a surge in her heart. Sonny was dangerous, but not in the way everyone else imagined, he was creeping in to her heart, and with every inch she let him in, the ability to hurt her grew.

Her hand was on his chest and she could feel the steady beat on his heart through his t-shirt. Eventually they pulled apart, breathless, speechless, eyes locked. It meant that they jumped apart as though they were burned when the door started to open. Both looked up to see Carl stood there.

Sonny crossed the kitchen to him immediately and extended a hand, "sorry for interfering earlier."

Carl laughed and pulled him into a bear hug, "took someone telling what an idiot I was being, just never thought it'd be Lucy!" As Sonny reciprocated the hug, he added, "and I'm sorry for what I said to you, I had no right to lash out like that."

Sonny shrugged, "nothing you said was wrong. Anyway, it's done. Who's for a drink?"

Carl shook his head, "not me. I've had a wild weekend, and now I've promised my grandson he can ride on a tractor tomorrow morning, early!" He sighed, "my grandson. Who'd have thought it?"