Part Sixty Two

Chapter Sixty Two

A/N Sorry that so many of you have been so offended by Sonny's actions, I don't think they are that out of character for him really...but there we go. There is still SO much of this story to come and I stand by every plot twist and direction that it takes. Hope you continue reading, but equally understand if you don't.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. MZxxx

Sonny felt worse than dreadful. He hated waking with Jade, it was against everything he wanted, but when the shit hit the fan, he was Sonny Carter, and that was what he did. Fuck up. He’d almost got Jade out of the house, bundled her away before anyone knew what happened, but then Carl found them. He couldn’t believe that the older man waltzed them both into the kitchen...did he imagine that flaunting Jade in front of Martha would convince her that her father’s role in splitting them up was redeemed? Typical of Carl to use anything to make himself look better,

But you still slept with Jade...if you hadn’t then Martha wouldn’t be looking so sick.

He looked at Martha desperately trying to ignore them, trying to seem not bothered or concerned, when realistically she was both. He hated himself. In his very weak defence, last night had been one of those nights, Martha had made him look at himself; confront the realisation of who his father was, and his behaviour in relation to her. He wasn’t proud of any decision he’d made of late, and he had sought solace for his self pity in the bottom of a vodka bottle. A recipe for disaster.

As the red mist of anger and frustration descended and mixed with the fog of alcohol, he’d found himself in a scuffle with Gripper of all people, he was still casting aspersions around town about his involvement in Scott’s death, and he had retaliated predictably. In every event as it unfolded, he could almost hear Martha chastising him, reprimand him over his words, his actions. But in her absence he’d pushed the idiot into a corner and it had been Jade who had dragged him away, and his resistance to that her doing that had been only temporary as in the darkness of a quiet alleyway she’d wrapped herself around him and shown him better ways to forget his woes. And as with every other stressful situation in his life, he chose to forget his problems by burying himself in another woman. A woman he cared nothing for, but helped him forget...so much more than he ever deserved.

Martha had to get away, but as it was Ethan was singing Happy Birthday to Sonny and handing him the present they’d painstakingly wrapped the night before, the designer winter jacket and the iPod, that stopped her. She still wanted him to have them, but had never imagined delivering them with Jade wrapped around him like some sort of dumb attachment.

                “These are for you! Happy Birthday!” It was literally the fifteenth time that Ethan had wished the greetings on Sonny, and he laughed as he took the parcels.

                “Really? For me?”

He opened the large parcel first and gasped in surprise at the coat that was exactly what he’d choose for himself. His eyes lifted to meet Martha’s and he smiled at her, “this is amazing.”

She laughed awkwardly, “I’m sick of seeing you shivering...all the time.”

He was still smiling as he slid it on, aware that Jade and Carl were a little awkward with things, “I love it.” He smoothed his hands over it appreciatively. “Amazing...”

                “It suits you.” Jade offered running her hands over his shoulders and almost purring like a cat. Sonny brushed her hands away as he took the other gift from Ethan who was dancing in front of him.