Part Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven

A/N BOOOOOOMMM!!! :) Another double day posting as you are all SO keen! 

“James said he’ll drive you and Lucy home Dad, I know you want to stay, but you look shattered.” Martha placed a hand on her father’s arm; he was a proud man and would fight common sense to not look weak, but he DID look shattered and she was worried about him.

“I can walk.”

She nodded, “Lucy can’t though. Do it for her?”

As he agreed she heard a kafuffle near the door, looking up she saw Sonny burst angrily in from outside, and laughing watching his retreat were Scott and Gripper. When would he learn? She’d begged him to leave them alone, the last thing they all needed was Scott starting on them again. Since the threats earlier at the restaurant and the fact that they’d been witnessed by their CCTV, he’d been quiet, things had been calmer. There was no trauma, no damage, and that serenity made things so much easier.

Now he was back in the middle of a war with Scott? Looking at Sonny she gave a scowl then retreated back to the party, she’d promised Helen she’d sit with her, keep her company. She’d been dumped by the love of her life just before Martha had come back to town, and a night like this, where everyone was coupled up, dancing, Helen was feeling really left out and sad. So as the other singleton there, she’d called on Martha to be her company. And right now a date with a bottle of champagne seemed like simplicity, and heaven. So grabbing one from the entry table and two glasses she left in search of her friend.

Sonny rolled his eyes at Martha’s reaction, though he knew she’d be angry, that was the exact reason he’d told her nothing about his plan, well one of the reasons. This was his swansong, this was his final dabble into the dodgy circles he’d found himself in since coming out of care at sixteen. He’d been so full of it then, years of defending himself; years of being unloved had made him a cynical and angry teen. He wasn’t particularly tall, but he’d boxed as a teen and kept that going once he was out on his own. It meant that he was strong, confident, and that was a bad combination in someone so filled with anger and resentment. He won a few fights, his name got known in certain circles, and then he was sucked into the loan shark world, collecting monies in any way he could, delivering packages. His quick thinking and hard fist coupled with his baby face meant that he always got a result. And people had heard about that.

He sighed, he’d done some dreadful things, it was amazing he’d only had the one trip to jail really. Until now that life had been all he knew, but the time inside taught him one thing, he never wanted to go back, never wanted to lose his freedom again. That meant breaking free, and that meant doing this last thing for Marcus. He didn’t think he’d ever be in this position, but Martha, Carl...even the cantankerous Lucy, they made him believe that it was possible. But if they knew the truth, if they knew the things he was planning, knew the things he’d done, they’d throw him to the kerb, and who could blame them?

Moving to the bar he ordered another drink then spotted Carl and Lucy with James heading for the door.

                “You leaving Carl?”

The older man nodded, “past our bedtimes, hey Luce?”

Lucy rolled her eyes, she was obviously still wanting more fun, but it was James who attracted his real attention, he was scowling at Sonny. Giving his most dazzling smile, Sonny turned and re-entered the hubbub.

James was wise enough not to act in front of Carl, but he obviously had an opinion on Sonny, as usual, maybe he’d witnessed the fake fight at the door, James throwing him out would give Sonny reason to go back and have another fight with his friend Johnny, he felt ready for that. His anger was only ever just under control, and despite everything going to plan earlier in the evening, James glaring at him, Martha angry with him, all dragged him back down, and it meant he was struggling to keep on top of things...again. Punching his mate might make things feel better.