Part Fifty Three

Chapter Fifty Three

Behind the desk she had distance from him, and it gave Martha confidence as the office door opened, her defences gathered, she looked up and faced Sonny, who stood there, angry, hurt.

                “What are you talking about?”

She gave a breathy laugh, “you’re not a good enough actor to hide the truth Carter, it’s written ALL over your face.”

He shook his head and she could tell he was trying to think of how to play this.

                “You were involved in Scott dying?”

His eyes snapped to hers, “NO.”

That caused her to shake her head, “tell me the truth. I deserve that much.”

                “There’s nothing to tell you Martha.”

                “I don’t believe you. Johnny was in this up to his neck, and I can’t believe that he was in it without you. Tell me.” When he said nothing she started to pace behind the desk, “ok. Shall I tell you what’s been going through my head all night? All the time that I nursed my little boy to sleep, the little boy who already looks up to you as an idol.”

                “I never asked for that!” He spun around to stare at her, “I didn’t ask for any of this.”

                “Huh! But you’ve got it, haven’t you? I don’t believe a word you say. Gripper...who’d have thought he’d be the one to shine a light on all this? Not me, that’s for sure. But then he’s the key here, isn’t he?”

Sonny at least had the audacity to look embarrassed, but he remained silent.

                “That night, you caught him vandalising the farm I was SO relieved, but who got away? Who was his partner in crime?” Again she was met with a stone walled silence. “Johnny. And this is where it starts making sense again.” She could feel tears at her eyes, pricking, the same emotion almost choked her, “you came to the house, took me to bed...you USED me, you made me an alibi hours after he was killed with the blood of Scott Oldbury on your hands.”

Like a spark to dry kindling he exploded, “that’s what you think of me? Well, Miss Holier-than-thou must be right, cos she’s never bloody wrong. I’m a cold blooded murderer, I orchestrated everything, you’re right and I am ALWAYS wrong! Are we done here or are we calling the police?”

Martha pulled her head up, “that’s it? That’s ALL you give me?” When he gave a nonchalant shrug, she impulsively reached out and slapped his cheek, the sound echoing around the silent office. “I have spent the best part of an hour being interrogated by Scott’s father, the only man who can now threaten me and my son. And that’s what he can do, what he WILL do. I’ve had him telling me that the man I love is a criminal, that the man I’ve trusted with my son, in my home...” She shook her head, tears in her eyes, “and you can’t even be bothered to tell me the truth? Is that what we’re saying?” Martha was furious, and devastated in equal measure, she deserved SO much better, she thought she HAD so much better.

                “You’ve already made up your mind. You’ve already come to your conclusions. So goodbye.”

As he turned to walk away, she shouted, “I’ve not. I asked you what happened, what you know, but you’ve chosen to say nothing, so now I’m adding up the evidence as it’s been given to me. It doesn’t make for great reading. And you running away, all that does is confirm that you’re involved even more. I  LOVE you, and you can’t even be bothered to justify this? You won’t tell me your story? I had you for many things Carter, but not a coward, not a bastard like this.”