Part Sixty Six

Chapter Sixty Six

A/N This is Sonny finally confronting some of his demons, a big chapter in lots of ways. 

Sonny was tense as he ate the meal Martha had prepared, and there was nothing she could do about it. All three adults sat there digesting what had just happened as Ethan wolfed down his dinner unaware of the turmoil.

                “Nice dinner Martha, thanks.”

She looked up to see Sonny gathering the plates, “no problem.”

                “Lucy, I’ll be fifteen minutes getting changed, then I’ll drop you, can I take your car?” He asked the last bit to Martha who nodded. “I’ll meet you at the restaurant later.”

She nodded, “I’ll be there once my father shows up. I’ve no idea where he is.”

As it was Carl turned up an hour later, he’d been out with Eamonn, but was happy to babysit, so she changed into her work clothes, and headed to the restaurant.

Sonny was still angry; she could tell by the hard line of his shoulders, the frown that threatened to break across his face, nothing seemed to lift it.

                “Let it go,” she offered as she passed him at the bar, heading for the office to dump her coat and bag, “don’t let him win.”

Sonny scowled, “easier said than done.”

And his mood didn’t improve all night. As the last of the people left, Sonny still wasn’t himself, Martha wished he’d open up, but she knew he wasn’t the type. Instead she watched him toss her the keys then storm off in the direction of the pub...and she presumed Jade. It seemed when the going got tough he ran to someone, she didn’t know if it was Jade exclusively or whether he was back to his old ways, but she guessed he was somewhere with someone. It hurt less as the days went on, but nevertheless she still felt raw as she headed home alone.

                “I’m going to see Michael.”

Sonny’s head snapped up from the account books he was studying. The restaurant was quiet but they were trying to sort out tax returns, and neither was that experienced at it, so they’d spent most of the afternoon trying to work out the forms.

                “Why?”

Martha shrugged, “he’s Ethan’s grandfather. What happened the other day...” She looked to the ceiling for a moment, “I can’t live in fear of that happening again, I have to make this work. It’s like a dark cloud hanging over me, and I need to deal with it. He can’t behave like that. This has GOT to stop.”

He shook his head, “you can’t.” It was a firm, hard NO.

That made her laugh, “who do you think you are? You’re not my father, and not even he can tell me what to do! I am going to try and make this work. I know he’s got a bit of a campaign against you, but he’s grieving at losing his son. He will get past it. And you’ll have to get used to it too.”

                “Grieving!” He laughed, “for that bastard? When the hell will he stop pretending that Scott Oldbury was anything more than a bully and a thug? And when will you stop making excuses for them both? Have you forgotten he tried to kidnap Ethan?”

Martha took a step back, “of course not, though I don’t think he would have actually taken him, not really. And I mean is that usual behaviour? No. He’s normally a nice guy, supportive...”