Part Fifty

Chapter Fifty

Before they could go to the pub, Martha needed to check in at the restaurant. It was a quiet night there and Paul had assured her that he could cope without her. When she called in the place was running smoothly.

"I'll relieve you about ten? I'll cash up then lock up. Thanks for this."

He smiled at her, "no problems, are you ok?"

She looked at him, "about Scott?" When he shrugged and looked behind her, she turned to see Sonny at the doorway, lounging against the frame waiting for her. "Sonny?"

Paul smiled, "lots of change Martha, just worry how you're coping with it all."

In that moment she realised that he wasn't judging her, he genuinely was looking out for her. Pulling him into an embrace she beamed at him, "I'm fine, I promise. But thanks."

"What was that about?" Sonny asked linking his fingers through hers.

Martha looked up at him, "jealous?"

He laughed, "of him? No."

She chuckled, "he was just concerned about me. Really. Not like everyone else."

"He's a nice bloke."

She stopped and turned to look up at him, "you didn't think that when we went to the cinema." In fact after that event Sonny had first hinted at his feelings towards her.

Sonny sighed, "he's a nice bloke, but he'd bore you to death." He gave a grin, "I'll not bore you. I know you better than anyone else, and I promise you this will always be special."

It was such a contrast of cockiness and genuine love that Martha felt bowled over, as she lifted her head to meet his lips, his hands rose to cup her face, cherish her, and she truly felt adored.

"Come on, if we stay here a second longer there's no way we're going into that pub."

At his protest Martha leaned back in the arms that were now wrapped around her and gave a languorous look, "have something else in mind?"

He groaned and rolled his eyes, "what are you doing to me?"

Giving a giggle she broke free of his embrace and led him into the pub.

It was quiet being a Tuesday night, but still the whole place seemed to still as they walked in. He didn't care, he was used to it, being the scorn of society, but he knew that Martha cared. Her hand was still in his, though it was shaking, and he knew this was hard for her. Giving it a squeeze, he led her to the bar. James sauntered over to them, smiling at Martha. Sonny threw an arm around her shoulder, pulling her close to him and smiled at the man who now scowled, "I'll have a large vodka, and Martha?"

"Gin and tonic please."

James nodded but paused to stare at Sonny for a moment, Martha sighed, "James?"

He moved off and got the drinks with the sullen stare of a teenager.

"Will you stop it," she hissed at Sonny. He in turn gave her an innocent 'what me' look. She rolled her eyes and watched him pay for the drinks, and they headed to a table in the corner recess of the bar.

"So what happened today? Was it awful?"

He took a slug of his drink then sighed, "round and round in circles. Gripper's got it in for me and is stirring things up. They rehashed everything that happened until they clarified my alibi. Presumed they spoke to some of the people who were in here that night."