Chapter 9: Dark Protection

Back in the manor of the Blight Family, the twin siblings were in the den alone and contemplating on why their younger sister came, covered in soot, mud, and tears. They didn't know where she had been but they never thought it would make her end up like this and they may tease, prank, and annoy her to an extreme extent but she was still their little sister and they loved her.

"How could things come to this? All we wanted to do was protect her and she comes home like she's been to war." Edric said as he and Emira played with their magic a bit, making constructs to calm themselves after seeing Amity like that.

"I don't know, Ed but we have to do something. We can't keep any eye on her since we have to go to school and we can't expect Mittens to stay her all day for the rest of her suspension." Emira said as she held up a finger. "And it's only been 1 day out of the 2 weeks!"

The twins looked to where Amity's muddy footprints were before they cleaned the floors, they were lucky their parents were on a business trip or else things would worse if they found out.

"We need to find a way to keep an eye on her without her knowing." Emira said as she stopped making constructs and summoned her scroll, walking into the kitchen. "And I think I know who to call."

"You do?" Edric asked as he followed after her.

"Yes, dad said they helped him once and they just might help us again." Emira said as she looked through a draw in the kitchen, finding something their parents hid from them.

Putting the contact in and sending a message with a meeting time, the Blight twins prepared themselves for this meeting while their sister remained in his room, except for when she came down to get some lunch and dinner. Once they confirmed Amity was asleep, Edric and Emira grabbed what they prepared and left the mansion, heading into town for the one place no rule following witch would ever set foot. The Night Market.

Once they arrived, donned in cloaks to hide their faces and their brought materials, Edric and Emira headed towards an alleyway and walked in far enough to not be seen by the others in the market. They leaned against the wall and waited for their "contact" to arrive.

"You sure about this, Em?" Edric whispered to her as they were leaning on the right wall of the alley.

"We don't have a choice, Ed. If we don't do this, Mittens is just gonna get seriously hurt if we don't do this." Emira said as she looked around the alley.

The twins then made small talk for a couple of more minutes before they heard someone walking down from the inside of the alleyway, from the darkness and away from the other dark market patrons.

"You the ones who called me?" the person said as Edric and Emira turned to him, seeing his green skin, red left eye and eye patch covered left eye and outer teeth with fangs. "The twins from the Blight family, right?"

"Yes, we are." Emira said as she and Edric walked up to him. "We want to hire you for an important mission to our family."

"Then you called the right guy, us demon hunters are the best of the best and will no questions on how you want it done." the demon hunter leader said as he crossed his arms. "So, who or what do you want us to hunt down and kill?"

That last word put the twins on edge, even though they tried not to show it.

"N-No. We don't need you to kill anything or anyone." Emira quickly said before calming down.

"Wait, what? Then why call for the demon hunters' services if you don't need something to be killed?" he asked them as he uncrossed his arms.

"We called you because rumors say demon hunters are masters of stealth that even the Emperor's Coven can't compare too and this mission requires that stealth, no questions asked." Emira said as Edric just nodded in agreement, not as knowledgeable about this as she was.

"Well, then what's job exactly?" he asked again, but this time without the "kill" part.

"We need you to keep a close eye on this girl." Edric said as he pulled out a picture of Amity and gave it to the hunter. "She's not to be hurt, just observed and reported back to us with message for the next two weeks."

"Observe? You mean you want me and my hunters to babysitter this runt from the shadows?" the leader asked as he looked it over before glaring at the twins. "I don't care if you are rich, this is an insult to demon hunters and unless you pay us enough to actually care about this-"

"We can, actually." Emira said as she nodded to Edric, pulling large briefcases from their cloaks. "These are from our secret bank accounts."

Opening the cases, the demon hunter was introduced two large amounted of snails in paper form. 3 by 10 rows of tied stacks made the hunter's eyes go wide as he lifted his eyepatch, showing that his left eye was fine, to look at the money.

"Holy titan." he muttered out.

"In total, between both case, you are paid in advance of 100,000 snails and will receive another 100,000 snails upon the end of the two weeks." Emira said with a smirk, one her brother matched, as they closed the case and placed them in front of the demon hunter.

"Y-You're serious? Just to keep an eye on your little sister?" he said as he saw them nod to him.

"No questions asked with daily reports. Got it?" Edric said to the hunter as he lowered his eyepatch.

The hunter chuckled a bit before grabbling the cases from the ground.

"You rich witches, I can never understand ya but your money talks volumes. You've got a deal." he said as he turned back into the alley. "I'll let my team know and we'll contact you with the first report tomorrow afternoon."

"Good, pleasure doing business with you." Emira said as she and Edirc turned the other way, walking away as their meeting came to an end.

'With their eyes, now we can keep a closer eye on Mittens when we can't.' Emira thought as she locked eyes with her brother, seeing his worry and slight discomfort from the deal. 'Even if Ed doesn't like it, it's the best way to protect her from herself.'

As the twins made out of the night market and back home, Amity was currently asleep in her room without a care. Though her sleeping position would put others in questions as she was curled up under her sheets and sleeping with her head on her hands like an animal.

"Hmmm, prrrrr." she hummed and purred(?) as she nuzzled and curled up more into her bed.