Part 80 - Epilogue

She lays the white plastic down on the counter, brushing the strand of hair that fell into her face away from her eyes.

"They're all positive," she murmurs, looking over her shoulder to a very pale Roman.

"I think I'm going to be sick," he whispers, sinking down against the cupboards.

"Don't lean against the wood, you'll get blood on it," she snaps, washing her hands in the kitchen sink.

He absentmindedly reaches around to his back and begins unclipping his chest plate, staring at the pregnancy tests on the kitchen island.

Avery slaps his hands away and unclips his armour for him, gritting her teeth.

"Stupid," she growls, and he looks up in alarm, raising his eyebrows in confusion.

"What did I do?" He asks, slowly hauling himself up from the ground.

"Not you, me," she sighs, shaking her head miserably.

"What are you talking about, you crazy girl?" He furrows his brows, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, pulling her towards him gently.

"I've constantly been shifting, and I just fought in a battle. What if I hurt... it?" She trails off in a small voice, looking up at Roman.

Roman avoids her gaze, walking around to behind her and beginning to undo her upper body armour.

Comfort her, Booker pleads nervously.

I don't know what to say to her, because she could be right, Roman responds quietly, wrapping his arms around her body from behind.

"It'll all be okay," he settles on saying, kissing her head and letting her lean against him.

"What if it's not?" She insists, her voice coming out choked up as she tries to stop herself from getting too upset.

"If it's not okay, then it wasn't meant to be. The Moon Goddess has a plan for all of us, and maybe this baby wasn't in our plan," he says softly, turning her to face him.

He wipes her tears from her cheeks gently, letting her rest her head on his chest.

He clenches his jaw, looking up at the ceiling and breathing out heavily.

"I'm sorry," Avery whispers into his torn shirt.

She's afraid to look up because she's terrified that there'll be disappointment in his eyes.

He's our mate; he'd never be disappointed in us, Sonya whispers, ignoring Booker's attempts at contact for the exact same reason Avery is hiding from Roman.

All Sonya can think of is that she shouldn't have let Avery shift.

They could lose this baby, the one they've wanted for so long, just because she had forced a shift.

Sonya shuts down her connection with Avery and retreats, drowning in her own sorrow.

"Let's go get this blood off," he murmurs, his hands going under her thighs and lifting her up.

Once he knows that she's secure and holding on, he walks towards the stairs in complete silence.

He's afraid to speak.

If he talks, he's going to cry, and he doesn't want to do that.

He wants to be there for her while she cries, he has to support his mate first.

Booker is trying to force his way in to speak to Sonya, and his wolf isn't present in him for the time being, his attention being entirely focused on his soulmate.

"We don't know anything is wrong, so it could all be okay, right?" Avery mumbles, looking up at him with a sliver of hope in her eyes.

Roman doesn't look down at her, trying to swallow the lump in his throat as he pushes the bathroom door open with his foot.

He sits her onto the closed toilet, turning on the water.

"Right?" Avery repeats, staring at his back.

Again, he doesn't respond, walking back to her and helping her take off her shirt.

She injured her wrist defending her Beta, and she doesn't have full function back yet.

"Roman, please talk to me," Avery cracks, tears flooding down her dirt specked cheeks as she looks up at him, grabbing his hand with both of hers.

He glances down at her, shaking his head once as he pulls his own shirt off, exposing a series of slashes across his abdomen.

He helps her to stand up, and helps her step out of her trousers and underwear, stripping himself off once he walks her to the shower.

"Roman," she whimpers, her eyes wide as the tears continue to roll down her face.

"I know, baby," he simply murmurs, pulling her into his chest and hugging her tightly, "we didn't know. It could be okay, we just don't know."

Avery releases a strangled sob, hitting his chest with her fists.

"We should have known! I should have known," she wails, leaning back against the tiled walls.

He cups her face, looking down at her fiercely, his hair falling around his face as he does.

"Don't you dare blame yourself," he snarls, "it isn't your fault."

And we're done!
Unfortunately Fortunate's first chapter has been posted!
It's so sad to me that this is done now!!

Hope you're all having a good day and don't hate me too much for this ending!!!

- Aoife :) xx