Part 57

Avery secures her hair into a tight braid and then laces up her boots.

"You look like you're going into a war," Lilith comments, sitting up slightly from the bed.

Kali nods in agreement, eating some of the popcorn out of their shared bowl.

"I would rather go into war than walk into this interrogation," Avery admits truthfully, sighing ruefully as she smooths down some flyaway hairs.

"It won't be that bad; you're being dramatic!" Lilith exclaims, getting off the bed and walking over to her friend.

Avery looks at her, and shakes her head, rolling her shoulders back and trying to relax a little.

"You're so tense," Kali observes, watching the two move around the room, Avery side-stepping away from Lilith, who appears to be trying to straighten the Alphas collar.

"You would be too, if Mama Bird was chasing you," Avery grumbles, eventually stopping and letting Lilith fidget with her clothes.

Lilith rights the collar, and she brushes some fluff off the black jumper Avery has on, scowling when she can't get it all off.

"You need to wash this," Lilith grunts, ripping a larger piece of fluff away from it.

Avery looks at her with a deathly serious expression on her face, her jaw stiff.

"I did, and this is what happened," she sighs, walking over to her jewellery box and retrieving some simple stud earrings.

Putting them in, she makes eye contact with Kali, who looks concerned.

"What's up?" Avery asks, moving to sit down beside her.

She rests a hand on Kali's shoulder, her brows furrowing in concern.

Well, at least we're not worried about our problems anymore, Sonya mutters, and Avery scoffs at her.

It's not like we're about to interview a serial murderer and maybe a psychopath, no, it's okay, Sonya drawls, and Avery can practically feel her rolling her eyes.

It's not like this man poisoned our brother and so many others that the Council has actually had to open an actual investigation, it's totally fine, let's not prepare for that interrogation, let us listen to a mated couples woes, she snaps, and Avery finally blocks her out.

"I'm nervous about going home because I could be in danger," Kali mumbles, and Sonya groans.

"You have to trust Scott when he says he has a handle on things," Avery tries to reassure her, not even believing her own words.

Lilith can hear the disbelieving note in Avery's voice and decides to intervene before Kali can spiral any further.

"Look, if Scott doesn't think it's safe, he's gonna make you stay here," Lilith reasons, trying not to roll her eyes.

"But I miss him," Kali whispers, and Lilith does roll her eyes this time.

Avery is totally spaced out, and when Lilith looks to her for help, she rolls her eyes and turns back to the girl in front of her.

"Okay, and he misses you too, but it isn't worth having to miss you forever," Lilith sighs, and Kali raises an eyebrow in confusion.

"What do you mean forever?" She asks quietly, looking past Avery.

"If you die, he'll never have you again, simple," Lilith groans, standing up and walking around the room quickly, one hand on her bump and the other on her hip.