Part 34

Avery and Lilith are quickly moved to an office just off the dining hall, Council members hurrying them along.

Alpha Petty is dragged with them, and Zephyr and Roman follow quickly, being turned away at the door.

The three stand awkwardly in the office, Avery's hands covered in blood.

She tries not to retch when she notices, and Lilith snatches a bottle of water off the desk, pouring it over her hands to get rid of some of the blood.

"You weren't as freaked when you did this to my face," Scott mumbles, and Avery glares at him.

"That boy was just a kid, and he was going to kill himself. He's innocent in all of this. You,  however, were the opposite of innocent," she snaps, muttering her thanks to Lilith.

"So.. guilty?" Scott smirks, and Avery bares her teeth at him.

"Alpha Petty, you stay in your corner, and we'll stay in ours," Lilith announces, pulling Avery back to behind the desk, where she sits her down and stands behind her.

"At least you didn't get blood on your dress," Lilith sighs, and Avery lets out a weak laugh.

"That would have been easier to fix," she grumbles, running a hand through her hair, and getting her fingers caught in a knot.

"This day just keeps getting worse," she whispers, and Scott lets out a hoot of laughter.

"There's a bit of a difference between a young boy trying to commit suicide, and you having a knot in your hair," he scoffs, and Avery glares at him again.

"I didn't say there wasn't, I just said my day was getting worse. Actually, the longer I'm around you, the shittier things get," she retorts, and Lilith cringes.

"That wasn't your best, and I've known you since this morning," the curvy woman mutters, shaking her head. 

"Lilith, really?" Avery mutters, and Lilith chuckles, shaking her head again. 

"What the fuck was that? The Council will ask and I'll find out anyway." Lilith grumbles, and the two stay silent.

"I can't say. The whole room would have known, if Scott had kept speaking," Avery growls, rubbing at her neck.

Scott watches her silently, shaking his head at her.

"Then why don't you just say it?" Lilith continues probing, leaning down to look into Avery's eyes.

"I can't say," Avery groans, frustrated, "there's a binding spell on both of us, and he was gonna break it."

"Jesus Christ," Lilith mutters, sitting on the desk.

Scott stays quiet, his dark eyes roving over the two.

"How's your mum?" Avery asks out of the blue, and Scott twitches.

"She's fine. She asks for you sometimes," he replies quietly, and Avery nods.

"Do you give her the Christmas cards I send every year?" She questions, and he nods, looking out the window vacantly. 

After a few minutes of complete silence, in which Lilith wants to die because of the awkward tension, some members of the council bustle in, Roman and Zephyr forcing their way in with them. 

"What was that?" Zephyr asks first, after waiting a moment for someone else to speak.

Roman walks over to Avery, and takes Lilith's place beside her, sitting on the desk and taking one of her hands silently, squeezing gently.

"Is the boy okay?" Avery asks, her forehead scrunched up in worry.

"You got whatever was in him out in time. It looks like he was poisoned just before he came into the hall, but we've never seen anything that acts so quickly," the elder says, and Avery and Scott exchange a glance.