Part 63

Avery is holding York's hand when he wakes up.

It took three hours for the alcohol to take effect, and the children awoke first.

Hayden and Toby were curled up in the corner, the father not releasing his son as soon as his eyes started fluttering.

It was a lovely sight.

Byron's daughter had woken up five minutes before York.

She had been unable to move when she first opened her eyes, and everyone was terrified she was paralysed in an unknown side-effect.

It took her a minute or two to be able to feel her limbs again, and Byron was slowly sitting her up as York opened his eyes.

His hand started twitching first, his muscles spasming.

Avery could see York's eyes shoot open, and she put her hands on his shoulders and held him down to the bed as he started thrashing.

She puts as much weight as she can on him, not wanting to suffocate him or scare him, but not wanting him to fly off the bed.

"York, you're okay, you're in the hospital," she quickly says as clearly as she can.

Her words don't seem to register at all, and his thrashing increases in speed and aggression. His heart rate shoots upwards, and the intense beeping starts to scare some of the children in the room, even as their parents comfort them.

Avery slams on the button to call for a doctor and nearly gets flung off her brother as he shakes.

"York, stop," she roars, not wanting to put any dominance into the order - that could hurt him as he comes out of the coma, and she doesn't want him to revert to the unresponsive state he's been in for over two months.

A doctor hurries in and grabs York's left shoulder, pinning him down as best he can.

"Mr Wilcott, you need to calm down," the doctor barks, another hurrying into the room to pin down his other shoulder.

Avery steps back from her brother, covering her mouth with her hands in horror.

Her brother was never violent.

Even drunk, York was calm and laid-back.

She quickly linked her parents to get back to the wing from the house.

Richard and Marie had been there most of the night - Avery had told them to go home and sleep for a while because nobody knew how quickly everyone would wake up.

We're on our way, sweetheart, Richard immediately responds, closing the link.

He could sense his daughter's distress, and Avery pulled her phone out.

"Louisa, he's woken up," she chokes out, backing up to the wall facing the beds.

"Why do you not sound happy?" Her sister asks after a second, and she can actually feel her sister's concern.

"He's freaking out," she manages to spit out, watching as another doctor secures York's legs and a nurse injects something into his IV line.

"What do you mean freaking out?" Louisa asks, and Avery can hear her stand up and begin to pace, "I'll come down today."

Avery rubs her face, closing her eyes and turning away from the scene in front of her.

"No, you're over three months pregnant. Stay where you are, it isn't worth the risk," Avery babbles, and Louisa releases a puff of air.

"What do you mean he's freaking out?" Louisa repeats.

"He's fighting off three doctors right now. They're trying to sedate him I think, he's gonna hurt himself if he keeps going," Avery whispers, turning back around to look at her brother.