Part 33

Avery is half asleep, but in her defence, so is Lilith.

The two women are leaning against each other, their heads resting on one another'.

"Have you ever seen your one so peaceful?" Roman asks in amusement, shaking his head at Avery as he pulls out his laptop and gets ready for the second half of the conference to begin.

"She's gorgeous," Zephyr sighs dreamily, holding Lilith's hand loosely.

"Are you happy?" Roman quietly questions, his eyes not leaving Avery's face.

"Happier than I've ever been in my life," Zephyr whispers, leaning in and kissing Lilith.

Lilith jolts awake and slaps Zephyr across the face.

Her jolting awake makes Avery bolt up, and now both women are alert and looking very pissed off.

"What the hell?" Avery groans, sitting back down and rubbing her face.

She remembers she has makeup on, and then whips her hands away from her face, cursing everyone and everything she's ever known.

"Why did you do that?" Lilith whines, looking miserable.

"He was trying to be cute," Roman weakly defends, and both women turn to stare at him.

"Next time, tell him to remember he's mated to a rogue who sleeps in defensive mode," Lilith growls, and Avery nods irritably.

A scornful laugh echoes across the table, and they all turn to look at the man who released the sudden noise.

"What's wrong with him?" Avery mutters, rolling her eyes.

"Watch out, Alpha Addison, your Luna might be the next to get burnt by that she-witch," Scott snarls, and Avery raises an eyebrow slowly.

"Scott, I mean this in the most sincere manner possible - I hope you choke on your own tongue," Avery responds sweetly, batting her lashes at the disfigured man across from her.

"You can't stand not being the top dog, Wilcott, and you don't care who you trample on to get to it," he growls, and she laughs coldly.

"See, the difference is, I don't care about you, and I never have, so you can back the fuck up right now and take that back," she replies sharply, and Roman sits her back down.

She didn't even realise she had stood back up.

I realised, you're not the one still in pain from that hangover you caused us, Sonya mumbles.

"You two, I will be forced to sanction both of you if you don't stop your squabbling," Roman sighs, feeling like he's talking to toddler children, and not two fully grown, Alpha-strength wolves.

Oh, will he punish us? Sonya purrs suggestively, and a purr escapes Avery's lips from Sonya's thoughts.

Avery claps a hand over her mouth and grimaces while she pulls her laptop out of Roman's bag one-handed.

Why do you love embarrassing us?, Avery snarls, and she can picture the smirk Sonya would be wearing on her face.

It's my favourite hobby, because you're the one who has to suffer through it, not me, she cackles, and Avery is about to put a mental block in place.

Sonya quickly butts in, hurrying to get her message out before Avery effectively tunes her out for the entire day.

I need to be let out later, something doesn't feel right, and I'd like to find out what it is, she explains, and Avery rolls her eyes a little.