Part 50

"Don't be too mean, please," Avery murmurs as she and Roman head back to her room.

"I'll say whatever I want. It was disrespect to you, but you can't do anything because Louisa is your family. I'll take the hit," he whispers to her, bringing her hand up to his lips and kissing it gently.

Avery smiles slightly at his caring gesture, and she can't help the slight blush that her cheeks take on.

"Okay, but please don't be mean," she pleads, "because she is my sister. I'm the one who will have to deal with the consequences. You can go back to your pack at any time."

"She'll get what she would if she was any other pack member," he promises, clenching his jaw, "although no other pack member would stare at us and mock you."

His tone took on an irritated, almost angry note to it towards the end of his sentence, and she gently squeezes his hand, trying to force her independence down a little.

Accept his help but don't depend on it, Sonya grumbles, slightly bothered by his need for dominance.

Avery tries to cover her visible surprised reaction at the fact Sonya doesn't support Roman in something for once.

He doesn't control us, we're an Alpha too, so don't let him do whatever he wants, whenever he wants it, her wolf grunts.

Roman arrives into Avery's room first, and looks around curiously, sniffing the air suspiciously.

"I think somebody was in here," he mutters, quickly opening the wardrobes and checking behind the curtains and in the bathroom.

Avery stays at the door, her eyes darting around the room and noticing the curtain moving a little.

"Ro," she whispers, her eyes locked onto the area as she walks slowly towards it.

Roman puts a finger to his lips and silently moves towards it quickly, his figure a blur.

Avery finds herself unconsciously holding her breath, raising her hands to her chest nervously.

Roman grabs the curtain and almost rips it down with the force he uses.

Nothing is behind it, and they both look at the open window.

"Did you open it before we left?" He asks warily, looking over his shoulder at Avery as he closes the window.

"No, I never open the windows here, especially not at night," she mutters, her brows furrowing and her lips pursing.

Her stomach is in knots, and she can feel sweat building up on her back as her eyes fill up with tears.

He notices and quickly crosses the room to pull her into his arms.

"What's wrong?" He asks softly.

This will be fun, Booker mutters, this won't end well.

"I think I feel like my privacy was invaded," she mumbles, laying her head onto his chest and letting him rock gently with her.

"Do you have anywhere else you could stay tonight?" He asks, looking down at her in concern.

"Well, I have my house," she sighs, wiggling out of his arms and starting to pace.

"You have a house?" He asks, sounding surprised.

"Yeah, of course, I have a house," she responds, raising a brow, "I'm twenty-eight."

"Oh," he mutters, his cheeks turning a little red.

"I don't mean you should have a house. Your pack is close; you all live in one house. Very few people here actually live in our packhouse, we all have our own homes for the sake of privacy and comfort," she shrugs, and he nods.