Part 76

"Can you imagine if we had a baby?" Roman asks dreamily, speaking more to himself than her.

We? Excuse me? It would be us having the baby, Sonya argues irritably.

"Sonya doesn't like your phrasing," Avery comments lazily, glancing over at him with a hand shading her eyes.

"Fine. Can you imagine a child we created?" He rephrases with a grin, his whole body turned sideways and facing her.

His tan is going to be so uneven, Sonya comments.

"It would be so dominant it would be ridiculous," Avery responds, and Roman releases a puff of air.

His grin has turned to a bit of a frown, and Avery quickly sits up on her chair, furrowing her brows.

"I'm not saying I don't want a kid," she explains hurriedly, "I just tend to think on the negative end of things, you know that."

"I still think a child is a good thing, so I don't appreciate you trashing our metaphorical demon spawn," he retorts, his tone half teasing and half hurt.

Aw, we fucked up, Sonya groans.

"You haven't even marked me yet, why are we talking about kids?" She asks, raising an eyebrow.

She's a little annoyed that he hasn't even tried to mark her yet.

She knows that they have to sort out a lot of business stuff first, but they could do that after the marking anyway, and that way they would have something to show for it.

"Mark her man, please," Mitchell grumbles from his sun lounger, not even looking over at the couple.

He's flattened out on the stripey sunbed; a hat draped over his eyes and a cocktail in his hand.

He's taking a day off, and he's making the most of it in the sun. His ideal afternoon wouldn't usually be one spent with his Alpha and her mate, but he doesn't have much of a choice. All of his friends are Kathleen's friends as well, and he still can't get over the shock of the betrayal.

He hasn't seen Kathleen in a week, and he got her to sign the dissolution of the mating papers three days previous.

Since she signed them, he had essentially been on a considerable party buzz, drinking so heavily that even he's intoxicated. He was a big man, and he had a high endurance, so that said a lot.

He invited Avery and Roman to go with him that night - they had politely refused, citing the need to keep their livers - and he had started to drink already, a little strawberry alcoholic slushie with a cute green mini umbrella being held in his gigantic paw.

"Why, has she been giving out?" Roman asks Mitchell, grinning.

Avery's cheeks go a little red, and she sweeps up her towel, wrapping it around her bikini-clad body.

"She hasn't shut up complaining about i- hey, Avery," Mitchell yelps as his Alpha pours a bottle of water over his head.

"Enjoy your tanning," she hisses, slapping his forehead as she walks away to the lakehouse.

Roman grins and hurries after her, patting Mitch on the shoulder as he goes.

"Ave, wait for me," he hollers after her, increasing his pace.

As soon as he catches up to her, he slings an arm around her shoulder.

She shrugs it off, and he frowns.

"What's wrong with you?" He asks, furrowing his brows.

"It's embarrassing," she hisses, throwing open the door and shivering slightly as she enters the well air-conditioned house.