Part 59

Okay, honestly? I did not see that one coming, Sonya admits, absolutely baffled.

Neither of them is really sure what's going on.

Okay, that doesn't mean she had anything to do with Lilith's disappearance, Avery reasons to herself, and then clears her throat, returning to speaking to the man who's waiting for a response.

What time was the call made at?, Avery asks, and the man clears his throat awkwardly.

She can practically feel his nervousness through the link.

Just before 2 pm, he quickly responds, and Avery furrows her brows, pulling out her cellphone and looking at her call history.

She squints at the recent callers until she finds Kali's number, and then she frowns.

"Somebody tell me I'm not crazy, and that this number is two," Avery urges, holding her phone out in front of her.

Louisa grumbles, and then peers at the screen and rolls her eyes.

"Yes, it says two," she drawls, putting her free hand onto her hip.

Avery silently nods and returns to the man on the link.

Thank you, she ends with, cutting the link immediately.

She called Zephyr before she knew Lilith was missing, Sonya grumbles miserably.

Avery exhales slowly and closes her eyes in thought.

Any sightings of Luna Kali Petty are to be reported immediately, Avery booms through her pack link, and everybody quickly responds with agreement.

Nobody tries to protest, and nobody questions the order.

The generals will as soon as they see her, though, and she isn't looking forward to that interrogation.

"Byron, I need you to get the message to your contractors. Any sightings of Luna Kali Petty are to be reported to us immediately," she instructs, and he nods warily.

"Captured as well?" He asks quietly, and Avery pauses for a moment.

"No, we just need her location as soon as possible," she settles on saying, nodding as she speaks.

She's trying to hold in her anger.

She opened her arms to this girl, and she pays her back by kidnapping another friend of hers.

This is the last Luna we befriend. We have enough, Sonya hisses, equally angry.

"Is she missing as well?" Louisa asks, raising her eyebrows in surprise.

"Not in the same way, Kali is hiding," Avery growls, her eyes turning to slits as she continues walking down the corridor.

Louisa quickly steps in front of her, sniffing the air intensely.

"Can you smell her?" Hayden asks, not exactly believing in this red-headed pregnant lady.

"Yes," Louisa snaps, "but if you're so convinced I can't, maybe you should give the tracking a go."

Hayden raises an eyebrow and snorts, rolling his eyes.

They walk in silence for a few minutes, slowly beginning to go downhill.

The metal-walled corridor begins to give way to a stony and mucky tunnel.

The temperature drops quickly as they get deeper, and Avery looks at Louisa in concern.