Part 53

The piles of files are taller than Kali, and the three women look at each other.

"We only have two left," Avery mutters, wiggling on the floor to try to get herself comfortable.

"Two too many," Kali whimpers, and Kathleen rubs her eyes.

"If I ever have to read again, it'll be too soon," she groans dramatically, flinging herself backwards onto the ground in protest.

"Honestly Kali, you're going to be the most over-qualified Luna out there," Avery laughs, shaking her head.

"I should win an award for filing and organising," Kali chuckles, rolling her eyes, "I was on the phone with Scott last night, and he thought it was hilarious that we were still sorting through these files."

Avery laughs again, grinning ear to ear.

"He would think it was hilarious, is his office still a bombsite?" Avery snorts, and Kali cringes.

"He can't find anything he needs, and he expects everyone else to know where it is," she groans good-humouredly.

"You poor, poor people," Avery grins, and Kathleen lets out a grunt.

"Can we get this done so I can go home and maybe drown myself?" She grumbles, sitting up from her spot on the ground.

Kathleen looks far more dishevelled than the other two, and Avery has to stop herself from laughing at her friend.

"Is somebody missing their mate?" Avery pouts, and Kathleen shoots her a withering look.

"Don't start on me, Avery Rose Wilcott," she grumbles, snatching the second last file off the stack in the centre of their sitting circle. 

"I told you we could get him home," Avery shrugs, and Kathleen gives her a small smile.

"He wants to complete this round," Kathleen mumbles, picking up a highlighter pen and getting to work on brightening the page.

Mitchell, Kathleen's mate, was a pack general. They met the day she had turned seventeen, and he was twenty-one - which her parents had not been happy about. He was away more often than not at other packs, training soldiers or dealing with and deescalating conflict. Kathleen was miserable when he was gone, and Avery was ready to station him permanently within the pack if he consented.

Avery felt pity for her best friend, and whenever she was in the pack, she spent almost every night with her.

"Mhmm," Avery responds quietly, Kali placing the last file between the two of them.

They go through it quickly, and when Avery looks up, she can see the entire page Kathleen is looking at.

She's highlighted the entire page.

"Kath, that isn't a colouring book," she snorts, and her friend rolls her eyes.

"This file doesn't have a name. I want to figure out who it is, and every little clue could help," she sighs, sliding the file over to Avery, who reads a few lines and freezes.

Her eyes widen, and her face pales, and she stands up abruptly.

"Do you know who it is?" Kathleen asks, standing up too, being more careful of the piles of files than her Alpha was.

"Ave, are you okay?" Kali asks nervously, putting a hand on her friend's arm.

"Yeah, I'm fine; I just recognise this file," she mutters, walking out of the room blankly.

"Can we talk about my leaving later?" Kali calls after her, and Avery looks over her shoulder.

"Um, yeah. Just get Scott to send me the papers," Avery responds, her tone sounding confused and distracted.